1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 Nova LS Turbo.... A to B car!!!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Leadfoot1, Oct 14, 2016.

1. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Must be something with the codes photobucket gives you, because VBulletin posts those as is. Its easier overall to click "Go Advanced" and upload directly. That'll also be easier on people without superfast connections, since a screen only displays in about 2-3 megapixel resolution, and VBulletin can resize them down.

2. Leadfoot1

Thanks man,

I hadnt remarked that the "go advanced" gave me the page im used to work with, on YB its the default page to type an anwser.... i tried it when i had problems earlier.

I think my problem comes from when im typing my anwser, sometimes ill "preview" it and its after ive previewed that it changes something, as, after that, my copied links do not act the same when pasted, they only paste as in the post i showed it.

Anyway, seems its working..... thanks for the help!!

Lead.

3. Twin Turbo Skylark

I love the project and the stance should be just about perfect! By the way how wide is that garage? I am thinking about trying to squeeze a 4 post in my narrow shop.

4. Leadfoot1

Not big, i'm @ 21 x 36 plus same out front with the covered carport.(that i plan to close for a 21 x 72 shop!!)

The lift is great, i wonder how i lived w/o it before, especially with my bad back (2 surgeries....) but it does take space. The fun part is they have casters and you can spin the whole lift 360 degrees in the garage with a car on it by one person!! Even a kid can do it its so light feeling!! Seriously!!!

And at around 2k$ its not that bad.... badder is the other grand or so for the rolling bridge you need to get to fully use your lift, otherwise its just an expensive jack, if at all.... but with it, i LOVE it!!!

Lead.

5. Twin Turbo Skylark

Thanks, I REALLY like you can roll it around I have never seen that before... Keep up the good work!

6. Leadfoot1

7. Turbo Drag Radial

kick ass build so far.....I love that year Nova!

8. ElJefeHaze

This is one badass nova. Great wheel choice!

9. 3 window

Looks good man! If the car's gonna be level and the rear of the car is that low, you might run into some oil pan/exhaust clearance issues. Track only car? Rock on! Any street and it's gonna be tight! Coming along nicely. Keep it up.

10. Leadfoot1

Naaa no street really... at least for now and youll see it shortly, as i ordered my headers this week, but the exhaust system is all planned out and will not go under the car, even if i get the car out N/A at first. To give you a hint, Itll still use the up and forward headers and some small Vibrant tubular style mufflers and exit before the front wheels (unseen in a slashed manner) behind the bumper, or maybe more like between the rad support and the engine. And just the same style when turbo.

The pan i have (Holley) from what ive seem on Camaros and Novas doesnt protude under the crossmember or barely.

But thanks for the heads up. I'll get there soon so we're about to be fixed!!

Lead.

11. 3 window

Sweet. Looking forward to it.

12. 3 window

One other thing, make sure you add some extra oil to that pan in addition to the listed capacity. If the sump's that shallow, it might only hold five quarts. Hard leaves, turbo feed and return and/or a high volume pump could starve the pickup and cause cavitation or suck the pan dry,which we all know is bad. For instance, I run a CTS-V pan and it holds 5.5 quarts. I run 7 quarts plus whaterever the filter holds. Something to keep in mind.

13. Leadfoot1

Uhmmm... oil uh?

The pan i have is the Holley 302-2, which is said to hold 5.7 (sump) and 6.2 (total w/filter) quarts. I will use a cooler so i should have over 7 quarts. I'll look into what others qre doing. Good point. The flash and 'hard' parts and nice to talk about but the use theyll be submitted to is also an important part of the build with PLENTY to talk about.

Keep the comments coming!! Gives me food for tought!!

Lead

What size do you use for the turbo return line?

14. 3 window

I'd put it all together with the cooler and eveything and fill it to the full line. Then add another quart and a half or so. I use a 5/8 (-10) return. Make it as straight as possible since it's just gravity fed.

15. Leadfoot1

Wow.... im checking up on here this morning and i see all my pictures are still showing? My links are all from PBucket still and everywhere else inhave pics posted, inget their little grey square for not paying the 400$/ year they want?? What gives???

Thats cool. My thread is mainly on YB and this here is a more condensed part of it but now a nicer than what left on YB...

Just tought id share afew updates since i am now using Postimage and have done a bit of progress!! Ill get pics up latr.

16. Leadfoot1

Allright,

So after the last pics, drom what im seeing i finished the underside of the car sonce those, i have my Fab9 together (1/4 in thick wall HD housing w/35 splines Moser axles, Moser aluminum bolt thru Ctr section, 3.50 Pro Gears, HD Calvert perches etc etc) Calvert aplit leafs, CaLTracs, Calvert Adj shocks all around, i finished my brake install too, the fronts were done already done i think(?) and i got some rear (black Wilwood's too) as well as the matching Wilwood tandem master.

I finished painting the floors and fabbed some frame connectors. Welded these in and painted everything nicely!!

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

This is all a little while ago. But its done!!

Lead.

17. Leadfoot1

Here is some more....

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

My best right hand!! My 13 yrs old Girl, (1 of 3, shes the middle one and the only one that Likes cars, ... i really should say LOVES to work on cars! She even likes it more than me often times lol!!! )
    [​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

Thats about it for under the cari think...

Lead.

18. Leadfoot1

...but then i went back to engine and trans. I ordered all i needed to do the engine, i have my studs, head gaskets, VVT and DoD removal stuff, new front cover (engine is a Gen 4 2013 5.3 with the good rods and slugs) i have a polished BB chevy water pump to convert my set up to it instead of the original pump, i have an LS9 cam but im not gonna use it im going with a special LJMS grind i already spoke to john like 2 weeks ago for that, but yeah got pretty much everything in so i just need to getbto the engine and do it but ill do thatonce i have everything fitted and mocked up for the turbo layout. For now im building around this actually and gathering more turbo parts and playing with fitment.

Back a few months again, i got a deal from a friend on a used but like new Ultra Glide (Ultra case) complete with transbrake and all so i grabbed it!!! Man that was a sweet one!! Hurray for friends!!

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

I dont remember if you hpguys had seen the bullet... here with its Dirty Dingo slider mounts and Moroso solid ones to them. Also with the Holley 302-2 swap pan (Holley are the only one's building a pan that is "structural" as are the OE pans. Its said to do a big difference in structural integrity of the alum block. All i know is it fits great lol!!,

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

Then at some point i got Mr.T..... he's an Borg Uuit, S480, .96 wheel and 1.32 a/r.

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

Ill try and save this here as i got a server error....

19. 1966Mustang

This is going to be a really cool car when you get it done! Very clean!

20. Leadfoot1

Here are the pics for my last post, i dunno why but postimage flunked and it didnt post these. There are the red X's instead...

So glide,
    [​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

Engine,

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

Turbo,

[​IMG]#ad
    [/URL]

Hope they save ok this time, im new to postimage's site, it worked so far, but then this glitch.

Oh well!

Edit, man, this site is weird.... it has a delay when i post. Not real easy to follow!,