1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 Nova LS Turbo.... A to B car!!!

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by Leadfoot1, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Twin Turbo Skylark

Yes keep us posted... My car went from 3900 to 2980 pounds mostly from fibreglass parts added so it is worth it...

2. Leadfoot1

Im ordering the bumpers this week and doors are getting here today!!

Hey!!! I hadn't noticed you we're a fellow Canuk!! Im in Montreal... and just sold a 50k miles, all orig and matching, never been apart, 69 Camaro in Ab last December.

Lead.

3. angus

What is the brand of epoxy primer/paint you are using on the flat black inner fenderwells? Thanks.

4. flyinhillbilly

5. Leadfoot1

Yeah.... i checked it out. MAN THAT STUFF IS EXPENSIVE!!!! LOL! Looks to be the shnitt tough. :)

Oh,..... and btw; Glass doors are in!!! Woohoo!!

Lead.

6. Leadfoot1

Darn.... i usually use PPG DP40/90 epoxy sealer/primer, but this time, they guy's offered me this new brand and i dont remember the name. Ill check if i think of it when im in the shop 2morrow. I must have my bill in my stacking pile somewhere. 'But, any particular reason why you need the "Brand"??

Lead.

7. Cpt. Slow

We had a truck here in town who faked crome on many parts of the truck. Started with a coat of gray primer, then a coat of silver, then a coat of the rustolium chrome, then clear, then rustolium chrome, then clear. It was not perfect but did look more chrome than silver

8. angus

Yeah, I really like how your's came out. I've been looking for a flat black paint that doesn't go on super heavy and thick. The best thing I've found is Eastwood's Underhood Black, but they only sell it in spray paint cans, you can't buy a quart of it to spray yourself. So it ends up costing a fortune to paint with it, lol. The fact that stuff you sprayed will still show the spot welds makes me think it's just what I'm looking for.

9. Leadfoot1

Im sorry, but if you look at my firewall, its shot with Eastwoods underhood black, (as well as the entire under side of the car after the primer) and i got it in a quart. Also goes by the gallon. Super easy to shoot, cobpvers extremely well and fills minor imperfections. Ceramic content makes it scratch proof when hardened too!!

I still have the can.... as i have to shoot my front inner fenders, even tough im not sure i wanna run em.

Lead.

10. turbodarryl

any updates, car is looking awesome!

11. Leadfoot1

Hey thanks man!

Well, to be honest, i havent really done much.... i have been closing the house for winter and taking care of a few small house projects too (paint and shit) so the car has been on the burner for a few weeks. The temperature is also a factor that affects me a lot... stupid rain all the time and cold too!! Plus it turns to snow most of the time now. (Yuk!!). But i did take care of some stuff still, small jobs, but stuff that will get me right along especially when ill be able to jump back into it for another round, as ill be ready and have quite a few parts ready for install.

I just put the subframe back on the car last week. I also got all its parts test fitted... which, as usual, turned up a few surprises and problems. (Bolt on parts they say right!!?? Yeah... right!!) so because of these little problems, the subframe isnt yet all put together, but almost ready to be so. I also got a good amount of small parts painted or detailed When i had bits of spare time here and there as to make maintenance on these easier and also to prevent the parts from deteriorating too fast once installed. You know, the one hour here, one hour there kinda stuff... it dont look much when you look at em all by themselves, but these parts are now ready to install for when ill be able to squeeze in a whole day or even a whole week end of serious work on the car!! I try to make as much of these and to take as much advance as i can to be ready to make serious work when the time comes!!

Like, i got, tried, fitted, cleaned and painted /cleared the whole front end parts, and also got all new bolts and hardware for parts i'm re using.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I had gotten Holley Motor mounts but they were a super weird set up thats prolly ok for driver kinda cars, but it was a bit too funky for what i have planned so i got these instead;

[​IMG]#ad

And i had to make 'em pretty of course!!

[​IMG]#ad

They are really nice pieces and come with good hardware, but most importantly, they call em Sliders, Cause they let you put your engine where YOU want it as the bracket slides and you can lock it where you need it. Very practical in a swap like this. They're from Dirty Dingo mfg. Nice parts... You can see how they work with my solid MOROSO mounts. With the other ones i previously had, i also needed to use rubber biscuits or stuff like that in em PLUS you needed to put a weird plate to accomodate the mounts on the subframe that held the whole thing with only two bolts!!! I could already picture the whole engine swinging for a fast trip out of the engine compartment and all!! Deff NOT what wanted.

Like i said, the subframe is on the car...
    [​IMG]#ad

Using the new aluminum bushings
    [​IMG]#ad

While i was painting some parts, i wanted to make the split mono leafs a bit cleaner then they were... having had em for awhile, they suffered from beeing stored and moved a few times and were all scratched up from it. So, since im trying to make this somewhat nice and that i have time until i pile up for some other parts, i prepped em and refreshed em. Them and the bracketry. Its cool. I like it clean...

Ready to bolt on now!
    [​IMG]#ad

I also started to put the front together but thats where i got stopped.... some parts need machining and i have to figure out some stuff and i just didnt have the time to jump into this completely so i decided to put it on hold instead of just start and have to stop before i am finished. The A -Arms need some tweaking and i want to take the time to do it and be done with it on same day.

[​IMG]#ad

Its those little "pucks" that are giving me a bit of trouble but i figured em out. Now its just a question of time to get back to it.
    [​IMG]#ad

In between, i also started to work the putting together of my front brakes, i had used Wilwoods before, but never really took the time to Safety Wire the rotors correctly, using Loctite and generally calling it good, but, i decided to take the time and do them well this time so i got the safety wire pliers and i started to get the parts together on the "hour here and there" program between other little jobs, LOL!!! Hey! What can i say...thats how i get ready to put the big picture together... with small parts that take time beeing ready to install when i get there.

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I think thats about it.... Oh No!!! Thats not it at all!! I was forgetting the big decision i recently took!!! Lol!!!
    Yeah, see, i was toying with the idea of building the 10 bolt thats in it as, generally, i always have a 12 bolt or 3 around in my shop. But since i pretty much sold everything in March when i got the Camaro thinking i was done, i was stuck with the on car 10 bolt, or to become victim of the crazy's that want BOTH your arms for a clean 12 bolte... so after a lot of looking around and calculating, i ordered up a Brand New FAB 9 from Mike at Quick Performance. Yup, brand new and bullet proof. Fabbed center piece (light and strong) 1/4" thick HD axle tubes, Backbrace, Inside webbing /gussetting, Billet Big Ford ends, CALVERT perches, fill and drain plugs, jack pad and MOSER 35 splines axles with 5/8" studs. . I also ordered my rear brakes at same time (matching Wilwood Dynalites.) from Mike as he had a great deal. So i have this coming in soon... it should to the job!! Hey, Its at least going to be better than the 10 bolt!!

So, thats about where i stand for now. I HAVE to TAKE time to get to it as i DO have the time, i just dont take it. But you see, just having a guy asking how its getting along gets me pumped up and i just might end in the shop later lol!!! Thats what got me to put the sub frame last time!!!

So anyway, hope that the update helps situate where im at!!

Thanks for the interest man!!

Lead.

12. Twin Turbo Skylark

Good call on the nice rear end, that will be a good idea!!!

13. Leadfoot1

Well.... at least "that" wont be grenading on the first run!!!! Lol!!

Lead.

14. racesloth

Very nice - I love the Novas - with a turbo LS to boot...:joyous:

15. gunracer1

can that aluminum block take the hp the iron blocks can? by the way, awesome build.

16. Leadfoot1

Its a 2013 block, has thicker rods and better slugs i heard. Block im not worried.

But, well see i guess!!!

Lol!!

Lead

17. 06turbofusion

subcribed

18. Leadfoot1

Hehe, seeing you subscribed made me realize i wasnt up to date on here....

Soooo, i didnt really made any major progress as a lot of little stuff is kicking me in the nuts lately, be it as stupid as Wilwood wanting you to safety wire the bolts from hub to rotor, but supplying undrilled bolts then selling you the correct bolts and not beeing able to get them... Or, ordering a new (rebuilt) steering box (wanting manual box) and hitting the parts store 3 M Fn' times, only to have them get me a POWER STEERING box every single time!!! Losing time, money and.... patience all at the same time!!!!

Stuff like that really boils my blood as i have NO control over it, but it STILL slows me down and also shuts me off when finally on a roll.

Anyway, lately, i had attached the front subframe to the car after having painted the floors under the car and i am now still waiting on an order from summit thats been on hold for 2 weeks for B/O's. I have squared the frame now and bolted it in final. (Plumbed it square, what a pain!!!lol!!). I have also now removed the whole rear susp set up with rear end and received the replacement... A Quick Perf Fab9 (the whole enchilada-checked off every option box) with MOSER axles and decided to clean up my Calvert set up. The whole suspension is brand new (only installed in another car and removed) but ive had the set up for a few years having bought it for a '69 Camaro i built that i ended up selling as soon as i had finished her (nut and bolt really bad ass car) that the buyer wanted me to de-tune for him into more of a daily) so, many parts got shelved, including these and from such, have been scratched from beeing moved around since then. So, having a bit of free time, i decided to make everything nice again with a bit of paint and detailing as im waiting for other stuff to come in anyway.

Im going to give another coat of semi gloss black epoxy paint under the rear part of the car's floors as i had stopped at the frame rails (rr part is only on epoxy primer for now) because all the suspension beeing in the way prevented me From doing a nice job, and then, ill put the complete new suspension back in, including the Cal Trac's and a shock mount. I have also started on my frame connectors. I had looked at Hotchkis, as they have the nicest conforming ones (aside from DSE's weld in) but i prefer a Hotchkis style as it permits more contact in a Nova cause of the floor bracing. Thats also why i decided to build em instead of buying them, at 575$ when there is only about 100$ of steel, it wasnt a tough decision. Plus, i like fabb'n stuff....

So its getting there. I also toy around here and there on little "sub-assemblies" as i call 'em and have worked on the engine too. But i figure its not always worth writing about.

To finish this update, Here are a few pics as we all like these right??

Getting the old stuff out!!
    [​IMG]#ad

New stuff???
    [​IMG]#ad

looks like it!!!
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

And im about to be able to attach the spindles with the brakes, as soon as i get the stupid bolts in!! Im also looking forward to trying the motor in there with my Holley Pan and Dirty Dingo slider mounts...
    [​IMG]#ad

I had even bought the special pliers and safety wire to do the brakes but its just when i opened the bags that i noticed WILWOOD doesnt even give you the pre drilled bolts to do the job like THEY reccommend it be done!!! Man, i mean, come on, charge me 20$ more on the fucking kit and put the right ones in! They sell em like 10$ a pack but dont tell you they arent included.... how STUPID.
    [​IMG]#ad

More to come pretty soon tough.... :)

19. Leadfoot1

So,

Last few weeks i been running around and finally took some time to make up a few updates!

I got the steering box issue taken care of, as i found a good condition used box for cheap, a lot better than those stupid guys at the auto part not even able to get one!! Its now cleaned up degreased and ready to paint. Thats all i needed to put the subframe together. Well, that and to get the drilled bolts to safety wire my brakes.... seems Wilwood reccommends that you safe wire THEIR product, but they dont think enough of it to include the needed drilled bolts so you end up realizing you need em just as you get to assembling the parts. So, i finally got the bolts in and just wired em finished yesterday.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I had painted the subframe and the floor under the car but since the rear end was in the car still, i hadnt finished painting the rear of it. It was epoxy primed but waiting on paint. So since my FAB9 is now in, i pulled out the stck 10 bolt, scratched down the primer and got to town finishing the paint under the car!!

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

20. Leadfoot1

Man that stupid site is giving me hell when posting..... about to quit.

See the last pic in previous post? Thats how it gets my pictures!, as codes??!! It often does that and wont post the pic right and i dont know why.

Anyway.

Ill try again....
    [​IMG]#ad

Then i put the paint on...

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

Its gonna be fun assembling all those new parts in the clean shell!!

I had a problem finding some rear bushings for my Calvert split mono's, but i finally found out that Global West made a kit with their Del A Lum bushings JUST for that app!! The rr bushings are two diff sizes one in the leaf, and one on th erail of the car so you basically need two different sets of bushings... but GW kit has you covered, and i wanted to try these bushings for a long time so i got them,

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I also got a shock bracket for the rear end. Its not as advertised and causes an install problem im trying to reach QA1 but after writing in twice and having NO anwser.... im starting to feel like the rumours about their customer service NOT beeing service at all is to be founded....

[​IMG]#ad

And since everything was out of the car, i played with stance a bit, i like Nova's low, but they are nice a bit higher too... im shooting for low enough.
    [​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

I want to get my rear wheels powder coated black but leave a bit of polished on them so they match my front better untill i get the real rear wheels...

[​IMG]#ad

But im not there yet, i still have enough to do just to get this thing started!!!

At least its going forward a bit....

Lead.