1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 nova build

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by 2turbonova, Nov 25, 2011.

1. rockoosi1

What did the LS4 come in from the factory? I'm not familiar with it.

2. 89notchturbo

The LS4 is a 5,328 cc (5.328 L; 325.1 cu in) version of the Generation IV block. Though it has the same displacement as the Vortec 5300 LY5, it features an aluminum block instead of iron, and it uses the same cylinder head as the Generation III LS6 engine. The bellhousing bolt pattern differs from the rear-wheel drive blocks.

This engine is adapted for transverse front-wheel drive applications. According to GM, "The crankshaft is shortened 13 mm '“ 3 mm at the flywheel end and 10 mm at the accessory drive end '“ to reduce the length of the engine compared to the 6.0L. All accessories are driven by a single serpentine belt to save space. The water pump is mounted remotely with an elongated pump manifold that connects it to the coolant passages. Revised oil pan baffles, or windage trays, are incorporated into the LS4 to ensure that the oil sump stays loaded during high-g cornering."[6] Active Fuel Management is also used. Output of this version is 303 hp (226 kW)/300 hp on LaCrosse Super and 323 lb·ft (438 N·m).

Applications:

2006'“2009 Chevrolet Impala SS
    2006'“2007 Chevrolet Monte Carlo SS
    2005'“2008 Pontiac Grand Prix GXP
    2008'“2009 Buick LaCrosse Super

3. bluchev

Cut that egr off and put a plate in its placw

4. 64fairlane

Easier to just weld something in the hole...

5. bluchev

6. 2turbonova

I ordered my autokraft pan today and hopefully this weekend ill get to pick up a manual steering box and see if it fits with the egr cut off.

7. turboventura

Nice man! I want to do an ls with manifolds in my Ventura next, how do you plan on welding the vbands? Any heating in the oven or cooling in sand?

8. 2turbonova

I guess I could run them up and forward also but the symmetry is a little off looking. Also I just plan to mig them based off what I have heard and read no special heating and cooling really needed.

9. turboventura

That looks better up and forward than some of the other setups I've seen. There's a thread on tech right now about the tightest manifolds being a set off a ctsv, and apparently hooker just released a universal fit manifold that looks pretty good. Ill Def be keeping up with this build, hopefully you can iron out all the little stuff for me!

10. 2turbonova

The hookers wont fit down and forward. Well the autokraft pan arrived today and I have on order a bw s475 with the 83mm turbine and 1.10ar t6 housing.

11. 2turbonova

awesome pan great quality and fast shipping.

12. bluchev

how much?

13. 2turbonova

the pan was $399.95 comes with the pickup and billet oil filter adapter. Its the same price as the holley pan and has way better oil control.

14. turboventura

Yea, moroso makes a pan now for 340, but has no provisions for the oil filter relocation. Everyone I've seen has been happy with the autokraft.

15. turboventura

Also I was under the impression OEM pans had O'rings, and the new pan takes a gasket? Maybe I heard wrong about the pan and its just the valve covers with O'rings.

16. 2turbonova

The stock oil pan does use a gasket its riveted to the pan I plan to reuse it if its in ok shape. I looked at the moroso and miloden pan also but the cost to run the filter would bring it right up to the cost if not higher than the autokraft.

17. slownova73

Im anxiously awaiting to see what you end up doing with the driverside, that was my plan, was down and forward truck manifolds, but i guess now it isnt.

18. 2turbonova

Isn't a 73 a front steer car? The only thing in the way is the steering box. Even the manual box is too wide off the frame and interferes. I will probably just run up and forward but im thinking about trying an s10 box before admitting defeat.

19. 2turbonova

My s475 arrived today, I got it with the 83mm turbine a nd 1.10 t6 housing.

20. turboventura

Nice, where did you get the Turbo?