1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by dug, Jun 7, 2009.

1. dug

Re: 1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Well I pulled the motor out again to fix up the firewall some more. I decided to cut it out and start over with a smoothed firewall from ABC Performance. I'm really going to take my time with this one and I'm hoping it will come out really nice. I've got some ideas for building a dash now too which is hard to explain through typing but for those who check into my thread I hope to show you something within the next 8 weeks or so on that. It's still slow going but I'm making some progress....

2. dug

Here are a few progress photos.

Cut out firewall 1.JPG #ad

3. dug

The cleco's in this picture aren't actually holding the sheet metal in place, they are just there so I have something to grab and pull/move the piece around with. I would put a straight edge on the metal and if there was a high/low spot I could manipulate it easier with the cleco's.

Firewall cleco 2.jpg #ad

4. dug

more

firewall tacked 1.JPG #ad

5. dug

h

Firewall tacked 2.JPG #ad

6. dug

Its turning out really good. It took quite a while to make sure it was all flat and that there were no high/low spots. But even as much as I checked I till have one area that is almost 1/16" low but it should be ok. Now comes the tedious and boring task of tacking it all up. I have to make a small skinny piece to fit above the new firewall I just put in and after that I should be able to go to town tacking it down. I know I have to just take my time doing things like this and they will turn out good. It took me awhile to learn that.

Firewall tacked 3.JPG #ad

7. blown385

Looking good ! :2thumbs:

8. dug

thank you!

9. dug

basically done with the metal work on the firewall, gotta try and smooth out the warpage using a small propane torch and a cold towel.

- - - Updated - - -

I'll try to get some better pictures next time as well.

firewall welded_1.jpg #ad

10. BlownShovel

The more I look at your firewall - The more I want to redo mine. 20 yrs ago I had a 2 piece aluminum panel across the firewall covering the multiple openings and uglies.. I removed it - don't know why - and now its a stock/ugly firewall - I like the clean look you are ending up with.

11. dug

I guess I didn't see your post after mine. I'm glad my work has inspired at least one person. However I have a word of caution: weld the panel in as slow as possible. I ended up warping the panel again and am having to use quite the bit of bondo to get it flat. I'm not to happy with how it turned out but at this point I'm just going to bondo it flat and call it good. I can't keep wasting time doing things 2, 3 or 4 times.

I've been working on building the dash so I'll have some pictures soon of it.

12. dug

It's been a little while but I've still been working on the car. Lately I have built a 2nd story storage/loft area as the shop was getting way to crowded. Thanks to my dad on that one, he came down and helped last weekend. I also got this bolt bin with a 2,000+ bolt kit which frankly- it's about time I invested in something like this. I need to snap a few more pictures of the dash but you'll get the idea from where I'm at with it.

dash 2.JPG #ad

dash 1.JPG #ad

bolt bin.JPG #ad

loft 1.JPG #ad

13. BlownShovel

The loft is gold. Space is always at a premium. Damn I have too much chit

14. dug

I'm telling you, if you do a nice weekend cleaning you'll feel so much better. It's worth the time! and in my case the money.

15. BlownShovel

I'm already jonesing for the spring cleanout. I plan to start in advance by trying to sell off many parts I don't really have a current use for.

16. dug

What ya got? Anything good for a rat rod?

17. dug

Just a small update, nothing big. I've been working on it the car here and there. Tore apart the firewally again because of the warpage that occured last time. 3rd times the charm. I actually ordered a 4ft sheet metal brake and will be fabbing most if not all of the firewall myself this time. I took about a month break which was much needed to clear my head then work got in the way so I've only seen my car about 6 times in the last 2 months. I promise there will be updates in the next coming weeks once the brake shows up. :2thumbs:

18. thunderroad

I understand where your coming from, I also have '70 Chevelle. Been wanting to start my turbo build, but I am trying to get a shop built first. I am driving it now, but can't wait to get them turbos on. I have been collecting a bunch of parts though. Have been watching this build, good luck!

19. BlownShovel

Sorry I missed the post... Bring a 1 ton dump truck and I'll fill it.... Wish you were closer

20. dug

Wow, it has been a long time since an update (again). I've been slowly working on the chevelle but still have a lot to do. Since my last update there have been a few changes in my life. I got caught up in a long commute to work for 6 months which really reduced the time spent on the car and then I quit my job! That was the best decision I've made as I hated it and the job was eating me alive inside. I got into doing custom woodworking with a former co-worker and have been doing that since November of last year. It's tough as far as cash-flow goes but I'm much happier. The following pics don't look like much but I'm pretty happy with how things are turning out and I'm getting used to my new brake. Man, if I had the right tools for all the jobs I swear the car would have been done by now. In time though'¦.

IMG_2584.jpg #ad

IMG_4234.jpg #ad

IMG_4237.jpg #ad