1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by dug, Jun 7, 2009.

1. Twin Turbo Skylark

Re: 1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Cool project!!! I am eager to get my Skylark on the road with some boost.... Keep up the nice work!

2. dug

Thank you! I enjoy skylarks too, do you have a link to a build thread???

3. blown385

Mine is tight too , but " seems " to be ok . No melting or anything like that . Not sure how good it is for the motors though .

crossover.jpg #ad

crossover2.jpg #ad

crossover3.jpg #ad

4. dug

damn! I wish I would have seen these pics before I cut my cross over pipe for the 2nd time! thats alright, I've got about twice the clearance you have now. Good to know I'll be safe, Thanks for the info blown!

5. BlownShovel

You could always wrap or shield some of the heat away as well.

6. dug

Yeah I should have mentioned that I will be wrapping that part of the exhaust too. I just thought that even wrapped that being an inch away would still be to hot for the plastic

7. dug

So I think I finally found a good location for the turbo, however I'm afraid that the wheel might come in contact with the inner fender well when it is installed. Can someone take a look at my pics and let me know what they think? I tried to get good enough pictures so you can see the tape measure clearly. I really hope that this spot works because every other position is a major pain in the ass. The bottom of the turbo is about 3-4 inches away from the top of the control arm. I tried jacking the car up and putting a 4x4 under the tire and seeing what would happen but it wasn't nearly enough to get the control arm to be close to the turbo. I'm thinking it should be fine right there.

turbo location_1.JPG #ad

turbo location_2.JPG #ad

turbo location_3.JPG #ad

8. dug

no guesses??

9. StabbinStevem

what is the up travel of your suspension? Can you measure that also?

10. dug

I haven't done anything other than putting the 4x4 under the tire which really didn't do much at all. It's really hard to get the suspension to go into full compression. I would need another 1000lbs over the front end it seems. I will be using 2" drop spindles and coil overs in the future

11. StabbinStevem

Just measure from the bumpstop to the lower control arm. this will give you a rough estimate of the up travel. There is some other geometry involved with it but once you know that number; lets say its 3 1/2" then you can find the highest point on your upper control arm then add 4" to be safe. If everything clears you are golden. I would check the steering in all directions as well. Hope that made sense...

12. dug

Thank you for the reply. Yeah I did that the other night when I was there except I measured from the bump stop thats mounted on my lower control arm to the frame as that is where it will hit. It turned out to be 5" which I thought was quite a bit. I have stock replacement hotchkis springs for a small block and just the summit "50/50" shocks. So I guess that would answer my question. I've got a 5" measurement there and the top of the TOP control arm is about ~4" from the turbo.... Thats bad. Is there any instance that I will actually get a full 5" of travel though? Where the hell else do people mount a turbo on a chevelle? You think there is all this room but there isn't...

13. HAULIN IT

Dug, I'm sure you've snooped around on here at other's in the builds section...many guys put the turbo facing forward ahead of the Right cylinder head & between the engine & inner fender. Doesn't really matter what the vehicle (Camaro, G body, truck, ect.) is other than the smaller the underhood area & the bigger the turbo, the more challenging it will be. That's a peanut of a turbo considering the size of the engine compartment. Do some looking first. A few hours of looking will save you many hours of re-doing...not to mention the cost involved. Lorne

14. StabbinStevem

The only time full travel will come into play is when you are least expecting it... Like that dip you never saw... :doh:

15. dug

Yeah that's where I initially was going to put it. I'm going to do some more tinkering with it and find a better spot. Thank you for the input I appreciate it. I've done enough things on this car twice, I don't want to make this one a "3rd times the charm".

16. dug

Hahahaha good point! There goes my turbo!

17. BlownShovel

Agreed. Lots of space but there isn't. Depending on what accessories you are looking to run the front to rear turbo on the passenger side front of motor works well. The dp routing also is simplified as it is already pointed in the right direction.

18. dug

Yeah my only problem is getting a sharp enough radius in piping to get the outlet of the turbo to the intercooler which is right in front of the radiator. The end tanks are up high and the piping has to go right next to the radiator. I'll get it to work. It's just a little more work.

19. dug

I think I've found a good spot for the turbo. I'm going to raise it up a little more from where its at and point the inlet to the passenger headlight a little more but this is the general area. I just ordered a new deep milwaukee port a band so things should move a lot quicker when I get that here.

Turbo location.JPG #ad

20. StabbinStevem

Looks like your patience and planning is going to pay off. I can't wait to see the hot side completed. Oh, New tools rock! I am always buying new tools to make my life easier.