1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by dug, Jun 7, 2009.

1. dug

Re: 1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

What advantage would a ball valve have at the sump? in case I need to remove the line with a full tank of gas?

2. blown385

Yep . Like to clean the filter or what ever .

3. dug

Gotcha. Thanks again for the help.

4. BlownShovel

I have found in life that if i ever need to work on a line or remove a tank it will be full of gas.

5. Stoichiometric

Looks good, keep it up.

6. dug

Thank you.

7. dug

Well, 2 steps back and 1 step forward after tonights progress. I decided to re-do part of my down pipe to do it "right." Previous to tonight I had a v-band clamp really close to the frame and bell housing which made it very difficult to install/remove etc. I cut that flange off and welded on a new piece of aluminum. It is definitely going to require some grinding and smoothing to make it look good. I'm just hoping that I can still remove it when the inner fender goes in. I know I should have everything installed while doing this to make sure but I just didn't think. I've got the correct fuel line and 2 filters that should be here Thursday so that should be done and installed next Tuesday. No pictures yet. I'll try and snap some if I get out there this Sunday.

8. dug

shit. last post was lost in cyberspace. I have to notch the cross member so I started doing that last time I was working on the car. I'm attaching a picture- sorry for the crappy quality but I'll get some better ones soon.

I just ordered a new mig welding machine, its a Hobart MVP so it will do both 110/220v outlets. There is a great sale over at northerntool.com if anyone wants to check it out.

x member notch_2.JPG #ad

9. dug

man I guess I don't know how to re-size :doh:

10. BlownShovel

Big pics are better than no pics ;-).

I wanted to emphasize that you are doing it right by rebuilding the crossmember. If you just cut for space it will eventually sag under the weight. I've seen that first hand. By using the half pipe the strength is retained and clearance achieved.

11. dug

Good to hear I'm doing it right. That's a first! I gotta thank Sean a guy at my shop for the pipe. I felt I shouldn't go less than 1/4" on it and he happened to have just that.

12. cat herder

I cut a big rectangular notch in mine years ago, boxed in with 3/16, and gussets on the inside corners, and it's been fine.

13. dug

Good to know cat herder. Thanks for the info. Gussets are a good idea

14. dug

Well I'm back home as of last night and will be here from now on. I'm done with working out of town. I went to the shop and worked on my car for a few hours today and finished up the notch in my cross member. Turned out pretty good. Next time I'll definitely wait to use a MIG welder for this type of work rather than the TIG. It was a major pain in the ass. When I went to install it apparently it had warped a little bit as well because now it touches the floor board and makes it pretty difficult to get it into place. Usually the cross member comes VERY close but doesn't touch the floor board.

transmission cross member_2.jpg #ad

15. dug

Whoops, heres another picture.

and on a side note, I think I'm going to have to do some major re-arranging up front in the radiator core support area to fit the radiator/fans/intercooler. Its going to be more work than what I had originally though. The position of the turbo is the major reason for this so I'm also looking into re-locating the turbo.

transmission cross member_1.jpg #ad

16. dug

I think I mentioned in a previous post that I purchased a new MIG welder. I finally was able to get it to the shop and unpacked/hooked up etc. I just need to get some wire and gas and I'll be in business. It's a really nice looking piece. I'm excited. I also found a brand new never been used 6" craftsman bench grinder on craigslist and picked that up after work today too. The shop is slowly getting smaller with all of the tools. I think its time I start making some shelves up high since I have 12 foot ceilings.

I was also able to mount the electric fans to the radiator tonight as well. Doesn't seem like a big deal but I had to weld a couple aluminum tabs to the bottom in order to bolt them together. I figured that I'm just going to rotate my turbo 90* and pushed back towards the firewall a couple inches so the exhaust will now exit towards the rear of the car- right now it is pointing to the drivers side. This should allow enough room to fit my radiator & fans in without heat/cooling issues.

I also ordered some tabs that I will be using as my exhaust hangers, they should look good once installed. The next couple weeks should provide lots of updates and work getting done. :welder:

17. dug

Got the welder up and running, it burns pretty good but there is some practice needed with the adjustments, the other miller machine I'm used to does things a little different. That being said, I got an exhaust hanger welded in and my radiator mounted up with the fans on it. I apologize for the extremely shitty picture of the radiator, I don't know what happened. I've got to get a real camera instead of relying on my iPhone. Next will be the re-location of the turbo now that I have the radiator/fans in place. I think I can use a 90* bend and push the turbo a little further into the passenger fender well, that should be my easiest solution.

photo copy.JPG #ad

18. dug

I'm still trying to get a hang of this MAC computer and I don't know why it turned the picture sideways. when i view it on the computer its upright but when I posted it turned it....weird. Heres another shot just of my shop space now and the car.

photo.JPG #ad

19. dug

Small update today. Last night I ended up realizing that my hot side cross over pipe was basically touching the plastic part of the fan thats mounted on the radiator. I shortened the passenger header right at the collector area by about 1 inch but that only gave me about an inch space between the fan and pipe. I think I'm going to have to do a little more work on the cross over. I don't feel comfortable with the space just being big enough to fit my hand, I think it will do damage when the pipe gets hot. Here are a few pictures.

Radiator_cross over 2.jpg #ad

20. dug

damn, the other picture didn't attach. here we go:

radiator and cross over_1.jpg #ad