1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by dug, Jun 7, 2009.

1. thunderroad

Re: 1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Nice to see a '70 Chevelle project, just gathering peices and parts for mine now. I just wanted to comment on the dash, looks similar to what I did. The only problem with mine was that at night with the gauges lit up, the lower part of the bottom row of gauges reflected in the windshield. I need to recess the gauges back further or something, not all that big of a problem, been like that for almost four years now. Nice work you're doing there, good luck.

2. dug

Thanks thunderroad. Good to note about the glare on the windshield. Do you have any pictures of your dash? and as a side note I'm actually going to re work the entire dash from scratch. wish me luck. :doh:

3. thunderroad

I don't have any pictures yet, I just joined this forum, and have had someone else ask for pictures. So this will be something I will get on ASAP. Glad to have helped. Will be watching your build, best of luck.

4. dug

What have you guys used for hanging 4 inch exhaust? I've only got a single 4 inch pipe and I've been looking at some exhaust hangers that summit carrys but I'm not a big fan. Any thoughts?

5. BlownShovel

I was running NA so the headers in the front and some SS narrow strap hangars. They were thin and wrapped around the pipe- I had the top side attached to some brackets I tacked in place. Wish I still had them so I could take a pic. I believe they were for some big rig application.

6. dug

ah, big rigs! Thank you for the info Walt. Good thing too, I have a buddy who works at a CAT dealer/repair shop :cheers:

7. BlownShovel

He will be able to offer some options. Some will be pricey but you should be able to find a decent looking solution. Low profile.

8. dug

some of these updates might be boring such as the one from today but it keeps me motivated and its progress forward. I fiddled around with one of the feed fuel lines from the tank to the filter. I would have done the feed from the pump to my hard line but I forgot that I don't have a tube cutter anymore. Gotta go buy one. I also did some figuring out with my radiator mounts/fan mounts and a little cleaning up on the core support. Just have to get some parts and sheet metal now. Excuse the shitty low light picture.

fuel line1_resize.JPG #ad

9. blown385

Is that a -8 feed to the pump ?

Looks small .

10. dug

man, good eye. Now that you mention it I grabbed just an extra piece which would have been from my return line. son of a bitch. :bang: Thank you. That was a brain fart, I guess I was just excited to get something done and rushed it.

On a side note to that, I really need someone to tell/show me how to use a flare tool. I'm using Summits 37* flare for my aluminum hard line and for the life of me I cannot get it to put a full flare on the line. I'm using test pieces on my work bench and the very first one I did was great but the ~12-14 after that all turned out like shit. Can someone please give me some tips to get a good flare?

11. cat herder

What's it doing wrong, pushing the tube out of the die? What are you using to cut the tube?

12. blown385

I'm confused on the filter . If its smaller than -10 , how is it threaded into the pump ?

If the filter is -10 , then I guess it just looks small in the pic .

13. dug

I'm using pipe cutter, the small hand held kind where you turn the knob, cut the pipe, tighten the knob, cut the pipe etc. When I put it into the flare tool and tigthten it doesn't push the tube out of the die it just barely flares it, like ~1/2 of what I need it to do. I wish I had pictures but I don't think my current camera or cell phone will give good enough quality. I'll have to try next time I'm at the shop. Oh and I use the little reamer on the back side of the pipe cutter and just barely give it a ream.

14. dug

The filter is a -8 and I have an adapter from the filter to the pump. It is a filter used on sprint cars, the guy who I was getting my fittings etc. from was telling me they work great and he had an extra lying around. I think I want to put another filter after the pump though too. In fact i THINK that's what aeromotive recommends if I recall correctly.

15. cat herder

...don't do that. The cutter work hardens the tube on either side of the cut. Cut it with a Dremel or fine tooth hacksaw blade, then deburr and make sure the cut end is square. Leave more tube sticking out of the die, it's soft and easy to trim off any excess that hangs out past the OD of the tube ferrule (scissors, nail clippers, etc.).

16. blown385

Aeromotive says a min 1/2" line ( -10 ) between sump and pump . The 100micron prepump filter should also be -10 .

You can use a 10 micron after the pump , but I like the 40micron cleanable steel ones .

17. BlownShovel

It's a learning game. scrap pieces flare.. too much out will cup on you, too little well not enough seal area. Make sure the piece isn't walking out of the clamp.

18. dug

Thank you very much for the advice. I'll try it tomorrow night and will follow up with results. :cheers:

19. dug

You're right, miniumum 1/2" ID line. I was thinking 1/2" OD. man this just keeps getting better and better. thank you.

20. blown385

No prob . :2thumbs:

I would also put a full port ball valve at the sump .