1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by dug, Jun 7, 2009.

1. dug

Re: 1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Just ordered a couple 4" OD aluminum tube and bends for my exhaust from RPS- very pleasant to deal with. I'm going to try and weld the exhaust from the down pipe to a little past the firewall. I'll try and post pics when I'm done this weekend.

2. blown385

Everything looks great . :2thumbs:

X 1000 on RPS .

3. dug

thank you, means a lot coming from someone with such knowledge.

4. blown385

LOL . I dont know much . Just what I've learned form hanging out here and from first hand trial and error like everyone else .

But thanks anyway . :cheers: :cheers:

PS .............. your tach and speedo are broke , it shouldnt read 5800rpm @ 150mph without the motor .

5. dug

hahaha you're welcome. yeah trial and error is a bitch aint it?

I didnt notice but my dad had covered up the speedo- it originally read "oh shit." but yeah I gotta get it calibrated :bang:

6. dug

Well I finally found out a problem I was having. The downpipe wouldnt tighten down onto my turbo with the vband flange. I have a 3"dp and its a GT45 turbo which until recently I thought was 3" as well. Turns out it is a 3.5" (what I was told by Master Powers) so now I need to weld on a new flange to the downpipe. Well now I have the opportunity to run a 3.5" downpipe and then flare to the 4" pipe I just purchased (aluminum). So I guess in the long run it will be better and will free up the flow on my exhaust side a little more plus I can route the DP the way I want it rather than how it came with the kit. Its just another setback though that I guess I should be used to. :bang: It was a frustrating weekend thats for sure.

7. dug

Its been way to long since I worked on my car. I have touched it since this last post but its still been about 3 months since I've done anything to it. :'(. Well I worked on it this past weekend and got a lot of done (although it doesnt look like much). Its hard cutting big ass mandrel bent pipe straight with only using a chop saw and cut off wheel. It makes it especially hard when I'm trying to TIG weld it. :doh: anyways here is what I came up with for the downpipe.

downpipe2 re sized.JPG #ad

downpipe re sized 1.JPG #ad

8. dug

well as you can see not much has been posted here recently. I have been able to work on it a few times in the last couple months and I've actually got a lot done during those times. The list includes:

1.Mounting my fuel tank- easier said than done. It was a stock tank that I had Dustin on the board weld a sump and a return line to. Turns out the return line was right in the way of where my fuel tank strap goes. This was my fault as I told Dustin that anywhere on the back would work, so no blame is on him. In fact he does really nice work and he's a really cool guy to work with.
    2. Plumbing the return line to the tank- did it with some black fittings and black fuel line, looks super clean
    3. Got a mounting spot for my fuel pump and purchased fittings/additional line to plumb that up.
    4. Finished the cold side of my intake (see pic below)
    5. went a little backwards on the dash, decided to build something from scratch and this is going to be the most difficult thing on my car to build. Any advice is greatly welcome.
    6. Welded a few more pieces to my downpipe, realized that aluminum might not have been the best choice for the exhaust but I will run it until a problem occurs since I already have the material.
    7. I'm renting a shop down where I live now! well not yet, come Jan. 1st I move in. This is the most important part of this list. I'm going to dedicate 2-3 days a week to working on the car to finally get some stuff done. The shop has air supplied and so far just 110v outlets, hopefully 220 in the space I'm at by the time I move in. Its a huge open shop where other people rent out spaces- wood workers, black smith etc. There are a couple guys with some mills/lathes etc. so I really want to become there friends!

Anyways I hope I'll be able to post up more pictures this coming year and maybe get close to starting up finally???

Intake finished re sized.JPG #ad

9. dug

Well yesterday marked a new era. I finally moved my car from Chico down to a shop by where I live so I can work on it on a daily/weekend basis without driving 2.5hrs ea way like I've been doing for 2.5 years. Here are a couple pics of it packed up and ready to go and then in the new space. I have to go purchase some all of my own tools now which isn't a bad thing. Anyways, hopefully I'll have more frequent postings as with pictures now. The next few days will be spent running air, setting shit up etc. in my new space.

*edit* the ass end is squating because the trunk is full of parts/material etc. But I've decided it needs a 2" drop spindle up front and the rear needs lowering too. Eventually I'm going to get different wheels/tires so they are pulled inside the fender.

chico driveway_re size.JPG #ad

10. dug

pic

in new shop_re size.JPG #ad

11. Twin Turbo Skylark

Here is some back to back testing of a twin turbo with and without intercooling:

http://www.bankspower.com/products/show/267/85

I am using the race fuel and meth spray when boosting at the track. On the street I am just limiting the boost to about 7 PSI. I like the simplicity of the routing of the turbos without an intercooler. Water/methanol spray can be very efficient so it is a good option to me.

I would only use an air/air intercooler for a car I wanted to drive for long periods of time under boost. To me this is where the air/air intercooling is most efficient. A 10 second quarter mile car I just can not see it being the best option compared to water/meth spray.

Just the way I see it :2thumbs:

12. dug

Well the car will be street driven a lot, at least thats the plan. That is why I went with the air to air intercooler. Like I said though, the meth spray is in the future though.

Today I worked at the shop and was able to clean things up a bit, put together the tool box, drill a hole through the concrete wall and ran the compressed air line through it. Not much to show for today but here ya go.

tool box_ re size.JPG #ad

13. blown385

Cool .............should see lots of progress now ................... RIGHT ? !

:2thumbs:

14. dug

of course! :cheers:

15. BlownShovel

X2 BOOOYAAA

16. Nice Chevelle

good stuff man...congrats on the move and tools. I'll be watching as she comes together. Have fun with it!
    :welder: :2thumbs:

17. dug

Hey thanks for the compliments guys.

I've got a problem and am looking for solutions/opinions. I purchased an oval 4" Borla muffler and tried holding it up under my car and it sits to low. I think it sits just a little below the frame and I'm not sure how I should go about fixing that. I want to run the exhaust out the side right in front of the passenger rear tire but I'm not sure I can do that now. I feel like it will all hang down to low. I'm looking for pictures or ideas of what others have done etc. Any ideas?

18. BlownShovel

I ran dual 4" sewer pipes out in front of the rear tires in my NA days. The muffs and pipe werent my problem .... Headers where... When it was down in the weeds.

19. dug

maybe I'll just give it a shot and see how it works out then. I don't plan on lowering it much, probably about 2 inches all the way around.

20. BlownShovel

Can't imagine the roads out there are worse than here in Ohio. If. You are dragging and it becomes a pita to get in/out of aprons then rework it.