1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by dug, Jun 7, 2009.

1. dug

I also made a little shifter handle at work out of some 1/4" aluminum and polished it a bit. It turned out pretty good! Way better than buying one for $100 or more.

IMG_6477.jpg #ad

IMG_7092.jpg #ad

IMG_7116.jpg #ad

2. BlownShovel

Looking good man :thumbsup:

3. thunderroad

Don't stop young man. I've gone from buying a 70 Chevelle when I was 18 to being 44 in July and my junk, although driveable (only the past 7 years) and fast for what it is, is not finished. No regrets, got to take care of the family and now building a nice shop to work in. The longer it takes, the more I change my mind. LS motor/4L80E/turbos, promise not to change my mind again, serious this time, really I mean it.

4. BlownShovel

LOL - you hope. Actually the ls/4l80 is a good solution. now to pick your turbos ;-)

similar story here - bought my chevelle 1990 It's pretty much been running since 91 in various states of engine and power adders. Although family, house, work have taken a lot of that time away the car sits and waits.

5. dug

Oh ya. I've read so many times about guys saying the same thing and it is no happening to me. Pray with me that it will run this year.

6. thunderroad

I hope it will be making boost before the year is out, good luck my friend.

7. dug

Thanks man. Me too!

8. dug

Re: 1970 chevelle, blowthrough 383 w/GT45 & 5 speed

Got some more work done this week. Long story short: I had to re-do part of the downpipe and then weld in the flanges for the wastage. Its all done now. The quality didn't turn out exactly as I'd hoped but damn its hard to weld in those positions. A few years down the road I'll rip it out and re-build it using all stainless. But for now thats where wrapping the exhaust comes into play! That way nobody can see it!:D

I've been messing with a few other things like shifter boot stuff and fuel line holders using the equipment available to me at work (mill, band saws etc.)

If you follow me on instagram I post a little more frequently. My name is: doug_w70
    Thank you for all the kind words.

- - - Updated - - -

Also, can anyone explain why the photos are coming up sideways and how I can correct that?

IMG_7343.jpg #ad

9. dug

I'm slowly moving forward. I dropped the fuel tank for what I hope is the last time to clean it out and then re-installed it. Fuel lines all the way to the firewall are ready to go. Of course the order I made a couple weeks ago with all of the fuel line parts was short a couple items. Once the new order comes in I should be able to be 100% plumbed for fuel. Nothing to exciting but it's progress!

10. thunderroad

Progress, good!

11. BlownShovel

Yep -- just keep plugging away!

12. Nice Chevelle

Good progress. We are all pulling for ya and can't wait to see ya do your first smokey launch !!

13. dug

Got some work done assembling the rest of the motor (water pump, pulleys etc.). The fuel line is not 100% yet, those small parts take time for returning etc etc. You think you've got it all and then realize you forgot that one -8 fitting.

As I was removing my stock pedals I noticed the plastic bushing was disintegrating and thought I'd try to install a bearing there rather than a bushing. So I ordered some bearings from mcmaster carr and brought them to work, threw some tube on the lathe and opened it up to accept the bearing. The pictures below are what I ended up with. It was more of a "I wonder if I can do this" type of thing. The middle brake pedal will still be using the plastic bushing but I figured its just a neat little custom touch. More to come in the following weeks. Got a new job so that should allow me some extra $$ to put into the car now. :cheers:

Will try photos later. Something aint working right.

Last edited: May 15, 2016
  14. dug

Here we go, got some pics.

2016-04-27 16.38.39.jpg #ad

2016-04-27 16.15.47.jpg #ad

15. dug

I'm still around! I moved my car back home to my parents shop to save some money (was renting a shop space before). This has got to be one of the longest builds on these forums for sure......

16. Twin Turbo Skylark

Its OK if it takes a long time, many of us have SLOW builds...

17. BlownShovel

Just keep at it man....

for the record my parents kicked me out of my winter storage spot at their place... now I have storage costs ;-)

18. thunderroad

Keep up the good work!