1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1968 Mustang Coupe, Garage built 331,Funnel web Intake,Bennet ported Trick flows,S465

Discussion in 'The Turbo "Builds" Board' started by wannabe, Aug 14, 2013.

1. brianj5600

Re: 1968 Mustang Coupe, Garage built 331,Funnel web Intake,Bennet ported Trick flows,

The 8" will likely break at some point and leave you walking. A fox 8.8 is an easy install with a grinder and welder. It is the same length and you can use Ranger/Aerostar axles for a cheap 5 lug swap. I used an sn95 8.8 in mine and it did fine for ayear with a 165 shot and 3 years at 12psi and a transbrake. You could do it for $200 or less if you shop around and not in too big of a rush. For a quick cheap option a mini spool for a 9" will get you some traction in your 8". They are dirt cheap at a dirt track shop.

On the downpipe, I would reduce it to 4". I kept mine 5" because I like a challenge, but in reality a 4" would not hurt my performance. Mine is making over 650rwhp according to calculators based on mph and weight and I doubt I would notice a 4" DP. A 4" would be much easier and radiate less heat. If you wrap it it can get pretty close to most things. Mine has been doing fine driving in 100* plus heat and only 1/2" from the alternator pulley and waterpump pulley.

2. wannabe

Re: 1968 Mustang Coupe, Garage built 331,Funnel web Intake,Bennet ported Trick flows,

Thanks Brian. Yeah I just wanna get my car runnin then do the drivetrain in steps. I do have an 8.8 I pulled from a 88 Tbird turbocoupe, Its got ABS Disc brakes and 3.73's/POSI. Maybe the Fox/SN95 8.8 will be easier than my Tbird axle. So one aerostar axle and one Ranger axle? Cut of all brackets then weld on leaf spring perches and weld axle tubes to center section. Can you elaborate on the 8.8 into 68 stang mods? Im gonna run Caltracs.

I like the idea of a spool in the 8 inch. Id like to see the difference from 2.73 to a deeper gear. I will google that Mod.

As far as the Downpipe. I also like a challenge and a 5 inch exhaust is just sick:encouragement: Since your runnin a half inch from belts/pulleys I think I can make mine work. So your piping is wrapped SS right? I keep reading that mild steel cant be wrapped but id relly like wrap my hotside. Whats your opinion?

PEACE

3. madspeed

Re: Turbo 68 Mustang: S465, "Homebrew Headers"

i believe you can you two Ranger axles, both pass side iirc

4. brianj5600

Copied from another site.

From an '˜83 to '˜92 4 cylinder or 3.0L V6 Ranger/Bronco II with a 7.5″ rear end you will need two driver's side axles. Only the driver's side will work as the pumpkin on these rear ends is offset and the axles are different lengths (you need the longer of the two axles). It should measure 29-5/32″.

From an Aerostar you will need two of the passenger side axles from an 86 to 97 model.

The axles are all the same so they can be mix-matched (i.e. '“ one driver's side axle from a Ranger and one passenger side axle from an Aerostar).

Fom another post of mine about my 8.8 swap.

I used a housing out of a fox. I cut the brackets off the tubes with a grinder with a cut off wheel on it, followed with a grinding wheel to clean up the left over weld. I left the UCA mounts that are cast into the center. They do not interfere with exhaust or the chassis. The tubes are an odd size, I think 2.875". I used perches made for 3" tubes. The Mustang leafs use a smaller pin than most perches come drilled for so I welded them up and drilled them smaller. I set the pinion angle the same as the 6cyl rear end I pulled out. I think 3 degrees down? To convert to 5 lug look here. I bought 2 Ranger axles mentioned in the link from a JY and everything went together perfect. You can redrill the 4 lug drums to 5 lug or buy Ranger drum. Fox and SN95 housing are the same part so I swapped axles and brakes from a 95 to get rear disc. I used the yoke and companion flange from the 95 and had a 50.25" driveshaft made with 1330 ends.
    The brake lines are different on the 8.8. The 8.8 soft line is center mounted, instead of offset like on early Mustangs. I used a stock 67 soft line and made hard lines to run to the calipers. I would probably drill and tap the tube and use a stock early model vent to secure it. I have not hooked up e-brake yet so I can't help out there.
    You can also put 9" ends on the 8.8 and ditch the c-clips. I have not done this yet, but it is planned. I have heard that 9" axles are the same spline, but I can not be positive. Most the major axle companies sell 9" ends and axle for 8.8's.
    The traction lock can be beefed up by adding an extra friction disc. There are threads on most Mustang forums that discuss it. Basically the stock set up has extra steel plates stacked together and you eliminate one of the steels for an extra friction.
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2435094/1967-ford-mustang/page-4/#ixzz2dbFmD3de

All my plumbing is mild steel. I only wrapped the DP, but people wrap entire hotsides, both mild and stainless, all the time w/o issue. Mini spools can be bought for less than $30 and Are not a big deal to install. I used one to get by with an 8" many years ago. It lasted very well on the street, but blew the caps off the center chunk in about 5 feet with a 306 and 200 shot on the first hit at he track. I have a spool in my car now with and see no downside to street driving.

5. wannabe

Thats nuts it blew up on the first hit! Im gonna wrap my mild steel for sure and polish the stainless DP and Gate.
    I found a 9" mini spool on www.SpeedwayMotors.com for like 20 bucks , that just sick nasty Im spoolin two ways

6. brianj5600

It was a low 10 second car and it dead hooked at he track.