1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1968 Barracuda "S" 411" B-engine with T6 S480 B/W

Discussion in 'MOPAR Turbo Tech Forum' started by CUUDAK, Jan 7, 2011.

1. jfive

Re: Here we go!! 411" B-engine with T6 S480 B/W

your buddy doing the 318 know about the stroker kit. I have a 400 ford which is alot like the 408 stroker kit, and the low end torque makes stuff move, and you can make like 600 hp in under 6000rpm. I wish my friend would finish his dart. He took his 408 apart, and put in new bearings, and higher compression piston, and then bought a pair of CNC indy heads, and then lost interest. Last I heard his dad was gonna take it over and keep the car. I was fortunate enough to weld the roll cage in the car.

2. jfive

Something like this would really help that 318 move. http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=200563672704&viewitem= Not a bad price either in my opinion. I have a scat rotating assembly in my 388 gm motor, and its been up to over 7000, and plenty of abuse for the last 5 years. I bought the arp capscrew 4340 I beams. 9000 series crank. both cost 500.00 I have heard of bad eagle parts too though. So nothing is perfect. I know of two shops and one shop uses scat the other eagle, and because they each had a bad issue once on an engine. True story. Look forward to seeing this project progress. :cheers:

3. bbfhnj

wow thats not to common for the BBF. I asked because the Scat rods are more often then not picked over the eagle rods when it comes to the BBf 429-460. it's not a strength issue but a QC issue.
    normally the scat rods are better (need less attention) then the eagle rods, and I am speaking of their H beams. what was your experience like with the scat rods?

4. CUUDAK

Broke at 7000rpm....

5. CUUDAK

Got the brackets on the car already. My pops home built "Carl-TRAKS" are done and ready to install. He laughed cuz I put the name in Chrome LOL!!

carl-traks 001.JPG #ad

6. jfive

Wheres the brackets. Look pretty short, but then maybe its just cause the tubbing is really fat. I need to get on making mine.

7. CUUDAK

Brackets are on the car. They are about 17"s long without the rod-ends. The tube he used is 1" I.D. and is a Nearly 3/8" thick. I doubt they will bend/break. The rod-ends will break first more than likely. I will shoot a pic of them installed tomorrow.

8. jfive

Yeah I wasn't worried about them braking, it just that they are fat. your leafs must be alot shorter. My rods have to be almost 2 feet, and I am using dom 1" o.d. .185 wall. I see the brackets in the previous page. I like them painted better. :chacha:

9. CUUDAK

Yeah,
    the rearend sits way forward on A & B bodies.

10. CUUDAK

Wow what a cluster!!!
    Got most of the right side done. Coatings Suck!! A Royal "PITA".... I suppose it will work. Next time I'll get a Hemi and I won't have to worry about spark plugs :doh:
    Guess i'll takt the hotside to my buddies and wash those welds with a TIG and get them blasted. I have VHT in flat black then they will be wrapped as stated before.

progress 001.JPG #ad

progress 002.JPG #ad

progress 003.JPG #ad

progress 004.JPG #ad

progress 005.JPG #ad

progress 006.JPG #ad

progress 007.JPG #ad

progress 008.JPG #ad

11. jfive

I read a really good thread about using VHT and bakeing it in stages to set the ceramic in it. Your header is kinda huge, but If you have a wood stove you could make a oven out of thin sheet metal and set it above the stove and try to help set the VHT. I know it says you can do it by running the motor in a certain sequence, but this is suppose to work better. I picked up silver ceramic VHT for mine. Looks good

12. CUUDAK

My Brother-inlaw is a Metallurgist. He specializes in heat treating all kinds of steel. He has an oven that I could cook a van in. Once the header is in the car it doesn't look any worse than a fenderwell header in my opinion. I just hope that it all comes together and be what I expect.

Oh,
    STILL waiting on rods! :bang:

13. HOTMOPR

damn those rods! I am 90% done on the drivers side just started the passeger side... boooo

14. CUUDAK

Its February. They should get back to work I would think??

Pics??? I haven't seen any updates with pics in your thread.

15. jfive

Does he do powdercoating, I'd have him bake the paint with what ever it is. here is the thread I found to be useful. http://www.fordmuscleforums.com/exhaust-articles/472399-coating-headers-high-temp-ceramic-paint.html

16. CUUDAK

He has been heat treating alloys for the oil industry. Thats all he knows. No powdercoating. He helped designed a build the ovens at his place of employment. He has given me the knowledge of how to build a small oven from a couple different bricks and a propane burner.

17. CUUDAK

1 pipe left to do for the crossover pipe and the hotside is done :bang:. What a nightmare! At least its nicely packaged without alot of clutter. Now I can start fabbing the Intercooler bracket. Its gotta support the center hood support as well. The cold side is gonna need some welding, I don't have a tig :doh:.. Gonna have to pay for that.

Here are a few pics of the setup in place,

progress 001.JPG #ad

progress 002.JPG #ad

progress 003.JPG #ad

progress 004.JPG #ad

progress 005.JPG #ad

progress 006.JPG #ad

18. jfive

Looks really clean. Have you thought about using HTS2000 brazing rod and brazing the cold side instead of paying someone to do tig. I have some and its neat stuff. You need a torch and a stainless brush, but you remove the oxide of the aluminum, and heat the aluminum to around 700 to 800 with a pencil, or mapp gas brazing torch, and then apply the rod like you would solder to a copper pipe. I filled a 3/8" hole in the bottom of a pop can with it like they do in the videos, and it wasn't too bad. I used a mapp gas brazing torch so when I tried to do some thinner stuff like the sides I burned right thru, but for intercooler pipe it will work great. Also if you know a exhaust guy, have him flare one end just barely so that they slide together.

19. CUUDAK

20. CUUDAK

Got 1 side of the "Carl-TRAKS" installed today after installing the Energy Suspension bushings into the springs.

carl-tracs 001.JPG #ad

carl-tracs 002.JPG #ad

carl-tracs 003.JPG #ad