1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

144 blower

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by jmccart, Mar 26, 2006.

1. papis408w

I agree w/ the tensioner issues but it was solved once I got the solid brackets made for them. This eliminated the spring inside the tensioner and it locked the belt load to what ever setting via bolts. I'm going to try and contact the guy that currently owns it and see if he can shoot me some pics of the bracket set up(I never got around to doing it while in my possesion). As far as all those problems slowfox had I never experienced any mounting issues. The plates I had made locally.

jmcart- obviously by what I was running and what the current owner is 11's can be had quite easily.

2. jmccart

well im jw because u said about the 144, vs the 174, this one is a 144

3. slowfox

Yeah, I think u could get some low 11s out of it. It is definatly more reliable than the gas cause u don't have to fill it up, but I just wanted u to know it could be a potential pain in the hiney, but what about most toys isn't.

On the + side of it, it made boost as soon as you hit it and was really streetable with that cool whine. I think for all the work I had in it to get it to work well and the cost of it I could of had a sweet blow-through carb/turbo setup.

Another thing u could try is a water/meth set up to cool the charge off and help cool down the case a little. I had seen some one in the carb/blow through section that had a water/meth system from snow performance which had a nitrous plate style injection on a small roots blower.

If I had shot it with a small shot of gas or some water/meth I'm shure it would have hauled more ass than it did, cause I had the blower running on a 2.5:1 ratio. They(Holley) told me to keep it at 14,000 rpm on the blower for the max boost vs. heat but u can turn it to 16,000 rpm dead max

If u decide to run this hope u have good luck with it.

4. jmccart

ya i think im gonna try it, only gonna run 8-10lbs outta it i think itll run good, there is a new tensioner fabbed up so it doesnt throw belts

5. jmccart

will i be ok running stock pistons with 58cc heads with the blower? what cr ratio will i see??

6. Mach_427

11's are very possible with the 177. I have a buddy with an older B&M 383 sbc, dart iron heads, 850 Biggs. He runs mid 11's all day, 68 camaro, cal traks... don't know what the car weighs.

Actually, he can't get out of the 11's he's sprayed a 150 -200 shot, but keeps fighting belt slippage.

Good Luck

Jason

7. jmccart

ok anyone on the compression issue???

8. mustang-junky

I believe that stock cahmbers on a 5.0 are 61cc. Stock compression is about 9.0 to 1. With 58cc heads it should go up just a little bit. Sorry I don't have the exact numbers, you should be ok. That water and methonal injection idea sounds ideal for this style blower.
    My B+M 177 or 174(i am not sure which) blower had the teflon tips and it had a dedicated 351 W intake. I have extra teflon for the tips if anyone is interested.

9. jmccart

how much for the teflon?

10. andrewb70

I never said that it can't be modified to work. I just said that it was designed for the shorter deck 302.

Andrew

11. mustang-junky

How much do you need? I will have to dig it out and see how much I have.

12. jmccart

well enough to redo a blower if needed