1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1000rwhp with $2 fuel? E85 is pretty cool stuff.

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by Trentk, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Karl Hungus

Std. gasoline fuel system. No problems yet.

2. jon_24v

Awesome! Keep us informed... even though i cannot get this stuff in the state i am currently living, ill probably be moving soon to a place that has this stuff all over the place.

Also, do you have any plans on going between this stuff and conventional gasoline at all ? (93 pump or c16 race fuel or whatever.. just any type of "gasoline")

3. Karl Hungus

If I have to run pump gas for whatever reason I will try lowering the fuel pressure first. If that doesn't cut it I will have to load a different calibration.

4. Drlee50

i have over 10 stations within 10 miles of me!!

currently i run 100 octane out of the pump at $4.79 a gallon. last dyno was about 800 to the wheels. tighter converter should get it closer to 1000hp with a tad more boost.

for me to run this stuff in my car is this all that is needed to be done?:
    1- reprogram the bigstuff3 with more fuel. (may require upping the injectors from 83's to 160's)

2- let her rip!

will there be enough "octane" to actually replace C100/C14/C16 etc?? (so it doesnt detonate) i guess i dont know that much about meth/eth/e85 as a direct substitute for gasoline.
    Thanks
    Lee

5. Karl Hungus

That's a good ?

6. Linc's 84 351

Straight ethanol is about 115 or so.

Is the gas used to mix E85 87 octane? I imagine it is the lowest available, no sense in wasting high octane gas to mix E85.

Here is a good (long) read:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_as_a_fuel

7. Drlee50

E85 has a 105 octane rating according to that site. sweet.

are teflon hoses requires or just suggested?
    will siemen dekas injectors work? 83's
    or do i need to run ford 160's?? what about the diaphragm in the fuel presure regulator? is rubber gonna survive?

after i get my car tuned with the 100 octane and make some runs at the track, i am going to give the e85 a try and see if i can get it tuned on the dyno to make similar power with a safe tune.

8. Erik88GT

What would be cool is if you could get some sort of smog exempt status for running this stuff. If the government would have more benefits like that, more people would use it for sure. I'd imagine it only pollutes a fraction of what gasoline does...

9. Uncle Bob

well, I was extremely interested in this, but it turns out that there isn't a single public accessable station in all of WA state. None in OR either.

I thought we were a liberal, tree hugging state (at least the west coast anyway) but apperently, I was wrong :(

That sucks big time. I was all ready to convert my drag bike over and get a 55 gallon drum. Ah well.....I'll just have to pay the big bucks for the race fuel I guess.

10. Linc's 84 351

As the shipping networks for ethyl alcohol change and pick up momentum, you will all see more.

11. sknapp302

Does anyone know, by what magnitude, E85 will effect emissions? How would it work with catilitic converters? I have to get emissions every two years and I like the idea of using this fuel to cheat the system. I am currently using the Tweecer RT so I could use it to play with fuel delivery and find out how the factory EEC-IV would try to trim fuel to reach stoch. Thanks.

12. Drlee50

there is info on that here:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcohol_as_a_fuel

seems like it would really lower the emissions and not effect the converter. main thing is the car has to be warmed up/converter warmed up.

13. sknapp302

I guess another way to look at catiletic converter performance using alcohol would be to look at EGTs. Doesn't E-85 burn cooler than gosoline? By lowering the EGT, wouldn't that also lower the effectiveness of the converters? If the car was too rich and the cats were too cold to burn off the extra fuel, you could get a high NOX reading during an emissions test.

When you guys were tuning with E-85 did the exhaust ever smell rich, or burn your eyes?

14. Karl Hungus

Nothing like gasoline. I pulled the turbos off the car and the turbine housings were very clean.

15. Unatural

If I remember correctly, one of the ways guys pass emissions tests is to pour some alcohol into the tank with the regular gas. I can't remember exactly, but if you do a search either here or on corral.net, I'm sure it would come up with a bunch of stuff. If that's the case though, then running the E85 should definitely have super clean emissions.

16. Erik88GT

No kidding. I can't believe this stuff isn't more available. Have you guys ever seen those flexible fuel vehicles. I think newer 3 liter rangers are one of them that I've seen around. The have a little green sticker on the tailgate.

And they sense the % ethanol in the tank and adjusts accordingly.
    Here's some info: http://www.ford.com/en/support/faq/environmentalVehicles.htm
    There are 60,000 flexible fuel rangers out there and hardly any E85 stations to fill them up? wtf? :tard:
    Are the tree huggers just sitting on their ass or what?

17. Linc's 84 351

FFV rangers are a lot more than just 60,000, as it seems I have seen a LOT of them. Tauruses, too.
    They have a little green "leaf" on the tailgate or on the front fenders.

18. guru_4_hire

Would we have to do more to a carb besides rejet it?

19. Linc's 84 351

Maybe drill PVCR's a little bigger, may possibly need a larger pump shot, maybe not...

20. Cld12pk2go

From one of the links above:

If oil prices keep rising, then ethanol will be economically viable soon without big subsidies.