1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1000rwhp with $2 fuel? E85 is pretty cool stuff.

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by Trentk, Sep 6, 2005.

1. Milner

2. Trentk

I am probably wrong but in a standard o2 feedback setup like a factory ford computer you could run this gas and it would richen the mixture on its own since it is constantly getting feedback from the 02's, although it might think something is wrong when it has to add 40% more fuel to obtain the AF ratio it is looking for.

3. Snipe656

I thought the factory ford stuff could only compensate to a certain point and seems like 40% would be beyond that point.

4. Trentk

I wouldn't doubt it. I was just throwing it out there.

5. Linc's 84 351

If some one "In the Know" has access to standard EEC maps and Flex Fuel EEC maps you might be able to burn a custom chip for E85.

That doesn't get you off the hook with fuel system componenets, but does get the fuel maps right.

6. gt89stang393

How would this work with a carb though? Would you need an alcohol carb or would a standard gas carb work? My Uncle has Ron's alcy injection in his racecar, EGT's should be in the 1150-1250 range, if its anywhere near 1300 its lean.

7. 502efi

Just a quick note for future users of this. Ethanol will give your tanks and fuel lines an "INSTANT CLEANING". For those of you who plan on running this stuff in your old varnished gas tanks, be carefull. The minute this fuel hits the system, it starts getting rid of all the gas tar that has built up over the years. Plan on having a fresh filter after the car has been run for a bit- Mabey 2 hrs. from the fuel hitting the tank. Here on the East coast they went to the Ethanol mix, like Trent mentioned. That same day, gas stations were shutting down and killing some cars fuel systems from it's cleaning affects. I'm not saying don't use it- it's a great idea. Just a heads up from your local UST tester!

8. BlackMagic94

That is not a problem if you correctly convert to E85 complaint fuel system. Which means you need telfon fuel lines and a coated fuel tank, so there is no deposist in the system when you first start it anyways.

9. 502efi

Correct you are- that's a good mention! I just wanted to give fair warning to those who will only comply with "fast and cheap", in regards to the upside of E85.

10. Trentk

thanks for the info!

11. Linc's 84 351

I never had problems that fast. About a week before I had problems.

12. Mustangous

Well supposally the gas is a buck less and according to their test it uses 15% more fuel, so you still saving a little. Not much to go out of you way for, but i think the big thing here is that with this fuel at the pump they hit over 1000 rwhp @ 30 psi. At 20 psi they were clost to 1000rwhp. So i guess you can consider this car a 1000 rwhp car with pump gas without paying race fuel price... :tu:

13. 502efi

I guess it would vary from the amount of varnish in your fuel system. I'm going off of the time frame we saw and heard of when they went to the Ethanol based fuel in NY and CT a few years ago. OK, back to the good info now!!!:rockon:

14. 67turbostang

Ok, I found an E85 station in Califorina...

but its in San Diego. At least its my homies Ford taking care of the trees...

15. Kryp2nitE

+1

16. Snipe656

Interesting so I could use this to clean an old fuel system that has been sitting for a long time ... ponders the possibilities

17. 383STROKER

What exactly needs to be changed? Would a aluminum fuel cell work? Will braided lines work? Do you need to ditch any paper filters? What kind of O rings do you need?

18. Karl Hungus

If/when I run into a problem I'll let you know.

19. Linc's 84 351

That's baloney, I think 30% more is a little closer.

20. Karl Hungus

I didn't notice a huge difference in fuel consumption driving the car around town. I burned 8 gal of fuel in 65 miles this past weekend. Keep in mind that I drive it hard. That may be a gal more than a normal weekend on avfuel.