1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

1000rwhp with $2 fuel? E85 is pretty cool stuff.

Discussion in 'Nitrous, E85, Methanol and Water Injection' started by Trentk, Sep 6, 2005.

1. 240power

Yeah, that's the only thing about this stuff. If they sold it everywhere I bet it would catch on with the high performance guys. In Brazil you see 100% ethanol at most gas pumps, and the high performance guys just soak it up. I, personally, would love to be able to run 30 psi on stuff I get from the pump.

2. jaeger6

To the best of my knowledge, a wideband doesn't know or care what fuel is being used.

I have been wondering this too, however, it's hard to get and sensor below the injectors right now. I'm currently working on putting a secondary stage in the upper plenum of my setup to add the fuel that I need. (I am currently maxing out the 42's). So with the injectors up in the plenum, they will be shooting fuel down past the ACT sensor, and I should be able to find out exactly what it does for the temp.

3. WaterPog

exactly my point, the wideband doesn't know what fuel is being used, or how much of it. It only knows how much unspent oxygen is left and then the software/firmware in the controler infers the A:F based on it's lookup table which is based on gasoline numbers.

the actual A:F IS lower as evidensed by the increase across the board in the tune but it doesn't show as such on the wideband because it's calibrated for gasoline.

4. BlackMagic94

All fuels have different stochyimeteric rates. Gasoline is 14.7:1 and E85 fuel is 9.7:1, i believe methanol is even richer as is pure ethanol.

Some widebands can be calibrated for certain fuels.

5. jaeger6

I understand now.

It's been my belief, in the past, that Lambda was calculated off of a/f ratio. However, that is not true. It's come to my understanding that it is in fact, the other way around. EUREKA!

A/F is calculated, via a multiplier (we don't need to go down that road) off of lambda which is a fancy way of saying, "how much 02 is left".

I now understand why his o2 sensor what saying 12:1 while my was saying 10:1. It's because mine had the proper multiplier to calculate a/f ratio of whatever fuel I tell it I am using!

Good. I can go to sleep now.

6. jaeger6

That's why they tell you to tune for .85 lamda, cause then you don't even need to know what the fuel is because almost all fuel make the most power when there is that much air left in the exhaust.

Man this stuff is cool!

7. DveeusRod

that is so cool! I hope you can get that fuel backed by a big oil company.....gas is insane in cali. 3.60 for premium

8. Unatural

Do cooler intake temps from running ethenol or meth translate into cooler exhaust temps at the same boost levels, or do the intake temps only increase if the mixture is too lean? I've wondered that for a while.

9. UR2SLW

hmm very cool...thats an idea id like to try once my combo is up and running..there is a station near me that sells its to some of the flex fuel cars here.

10. TurboNotch

so Steve... can you drive in the max occupancy lane now?? :)

even figuring the average 20 percent more fuel you are still under 2.40 a gal or so. thats badass.

11. Karl Hungus

I was thinking AF plates.

12. jimbo65

Man I love this site! I thought that I was the only one thinking about running E85 as a performance/economical fuel but now I find that its been done!!

Its impossible to find E85 in California, only one public pump,(guess I might thank the oil companies for that) but I've heard its not impossible to make your own E85. A still in the backyard, lol, sounds fun!

13. fast4d

I don't think they have any E85 available to the public in CA and AZ (same gasoline market)?

they are already blending ethonal into the fuel now that MTBE is outlawed.

14. Trentk

They are 2-3 stations in Tucson that have it available, they are owned and operated by a petroleum company. There are no stations in Phoenix but I hope to change that.

Yes, switching between this fuel and gasoline is pretty easy, for a high perf application you would just want to have 2 different cals setup, 1 for each fuel type.

I also added a video to the 1st post.

15. Mustangous

So tell me if i am understanding this....In order to run this fuel you obvioulsy should have wideband to make sure your engine is not too lean, right? Then I would be able to adjust the fuel pressure regulator for a proper a/f ration or would i need a ms or some type of stand a lone hooked up to the wideband and tune that way?

16. BlackMagic94

Buy a AEM

You need to alter the fuel and timing maps to run this fuel properly. Adjusting the FP is not the way to do this properly.

17. jaeger6

I use a Megasquirt. It really doesn't matter what you use for engine management as long as you understand how it works.

18. Mustangous

Yeah i am trying to do a lot of research for the ms, seems like a great buy and for the price its really a no brainer... 1600 for the aem is a little out of my reach...lol

19. 67turbostang

I would have thought that out here in tree hugger california, there would be ethanol stations on every corner... but, no, I cant find one in the state. I would love to run this stuff, even if I did have to fill up more often, it would still save me a bunch of money.

20. fast4d

all the corn and grain is in the midwest:D