1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Yet another Crutch idea.

Discussion in 'General Carb Tech' started by Chromedome, Mar 20, 2015.

1. Chromedome

You guys let me know what you think. I'm modding a Holley 2300 350 cfm 2 barrel for blow through, and have modded my power valve for crutch activation by moving the spring to the front of the nut and adding a retainer held in by the main jets.

I was wondering since I can drill through to the power valve cavity from the back side of the carb, could I not use a push type solenoid to push a rod into the back of the power valve to open it? With a hobbs switch and solenoid, only two moving parts and instant activation.

2. flyinhillbilly

Sure it would work, but you could just plumb the power valve cavity to the compressor housing and have 0 moving parts and progressive activation. Not trying to down your idea, but it kind of seems like a $99 soloution to a $0.99 problem.

3. Mnlx

This is fine as long as you can get it to fully open on boost alone, many are running as much as 30-40psi in their crutch setups.

4. flyinhillbilly

I've never really understood why either, pressure is relative, so theoretically you just need to adjust the spring pressure to get it to open when you want it to. The one I've just built is my first attempt at a BRPV, and I haven't reached the tuning stage yet so I may be trying to wash the taste of foot out of my mouth, but I'm almost certain that I can get it to work right on boost alone.

5. Mnlx

There are some that make it work. I built one, and tuned it some, but did end up going to a compressor because I thought it was more consistent. Some are using pre turbine pressure, some fuel pressure.... whatever works. The op's idea is no worse than some of the others that have been tried, but would most likely only work on a 2 bbl.

6. flyinhillbilly

Agreed, OP's idea will work and work well on a 2bbl. I wasn't trying to take anything away from it, I just like the idea of one that opens progressively relative to boost.

7. Mnlx

I understood, and simple is always the best....

8. Rickracer

My BRPV gets it's pressure from a fitting drilled and tapped into the turbine flange, and so far, it works great. Testing so far has shown about a 1.5:1 ~ 1.7:1 P/R between boost and turbine pressure.....

9. Chromedome

Rick, don't you worry about exhaust gases degrading the rubber in the power valve?

10. Rickracer

No, there's about 2 feet of steel tubing and rubber hose between the P/V and the turbine, and the steel tubing is coiled, to get rid of some heat, I doubt the exhaust even gets that far, it just pushes the column of air in the tubing.

11. Chromedome

Makes perfect sense!

12. Chromedome

Rick, hope you see this. I don't have enough post to message you. Where did you tap into your hotside? Got a pic by any chance?

13. Rickracer

I just tapped into the turbine housing just above the mounting flange. If I can't find a pic, I'll take one for ya later today, :thumbsup:

14. Chromedome

Thanks Rick!

15. Rickracer

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

16. Chromedome

Looks simple enough. Think I'll give it a try!

17. Rickracer

18. Will brewer

Simple but effective.I like it