1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Cat Converter

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by stangman9897, Dec 28, 2012.

1. stangman9897

On a 2009 Dodge 3500 im being told to take the cat off it has to be turned off in the computer with a programmer is this true or BS. The cat is plugged up and i say take it off and put a pc of pipe in there or cut the cat and empty it out close it up and put it back on but they are telling me the cat has to be turned off in the computer ?

2. half-fast

not sure if you can shut the computer off but pretty sure if you hollow it out it will throw a p0420 code saying the cat efficiency is shit

3. stangman9897

Yes the programmer will turn off the cat, thats what he just told me.

4. WEIGHTMAN

depends if its a cat or a dpf, the converter part can be emptied and not missed but a dpf with no diffirential pressure in the exhaust may cause limp mode or even a not start if sensors are gone, look into a H and S minimax it will cure you evils lol

5. WEIGHTMAN

i just looked at the h and s site and the tuners with the dpf and egr delete are discontinued, they must have gotten hit by the epa or carb

6. UJUSTLOST

H&S got smacked by the EPA. They are one of many. The days of deleting the smog stuff your diesel are gone. I have a 2012 Ram 2500 with the 6.7L Cummins and was going to delete it at 100K miles when the warranty expired but not any more. As a matter of fact, NY will be doing emission testing on diesel trucks that are 2000 and newer next year. I was told by a friend that does the inspections that any truck with an emission delete will fail because they all will have to be plugged in. I am not sure he is right about the year trucks but he is usually on top of this stuff.

7. WEIGHTMAN

Ive heard the same in some of our provinces but peope always find a place to go or a loop hole to get by without the stuff, funny how burning more fuel is more envirimentaly friendly

8. missinglinc05

Im a CT emissions inspector, for diesels all we test is opacity at 30mph on a dyne. Ive failed 1 truck in 4 years and it was because 3 & 4 gear were blown and I ran it at 30mph in 2nd. Long as we dont romp on the trucks they pass, doesnt matter whats done to them.

Edit: The opacity meter is just a laser and mirror with exhaust gas passing by, youre allowed 20% in our fine state, most trucks average 2-4%

Last edited: Jan 9, 2013