1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need Alternator advice

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by kenn1320, May 2, 2009.

1. kenn1320

Car isnt running yet, but I know the factory 89 alternator probably wont be sufficient. Im using 2 efi pumps, msd digital 6, aem, etc. I see you can buy 130amp up to 200 amp. I also see 1 wire alternators. I will likely build my own brackets, so what do you guys recomend for an alternator? Can a local shop modify the stock alternator to produce what I need?
    thanks,
    Ken

2. underpsi68

I would buy a 3G 130amp alt. That will be more than enough for you. You can get them from a place like PA Performance for around $200. Just don't forget to install a new wire from alt to battery. The stock one will not be enough.

3. kenn1320

Ive got 1/0 wire from the battery to the solenoid. What about the factory harness that goes to the alternator? Is that what your referring to?

4. underpsi68

Yes from the alt to the solenoid is what I was referring to.

5. yellowpony

I had a 130 amp on mine, and i use ramcharger fans. Between the fans/fuel pump (magnafuel pro tuner 750)/FAST XFI, headlights, electric water pump, it was just plain out of steam. I installed a 200 amp and problem solved! Also, i had trouble with some grounds, i ran mine, battery to chassis, chassis to engine block (full length), engine block back to chassis with 2ga battery cable, and use the monster cable 4 ga for my alternator. The grounds really cleared up a lot of my charging issues.

Anthony

6. flynbrian

I like one wire set-ups. Also make sure of your pulley sizes and not to overspeed the alternator. I just burned up my Powermaster's voltage regulator by spinning it too many RPMS! I bought a large pulley from Moroso for the alt. and slowed it down.

Most alternators starting making big power without spinning the crap out of them. Powermaster suggested no more than 6,000 shaft RPMS. So either run a real small under drive crank pulley or the large Moroso Alt. pulley.

Amperage is gonna be your personal opinion of what you need. I got along with a 100 amp unit just fine. Others need a 200.

7. ILLINTENT

I have 3G 130 amp units in chrome for only $179 (closeout) It will bolt right into your stock brackets or you can make your own. I have them in 1 wire, or 2 wire hookup. They are normally $339 at summit.

I have a bunch of other options too, all of them 50%. From left to right, size comparison: small case 3G 100 amp, 65 amp 1G, 130 amp large case 3G

[​IMG]#ad

8. 71 cam

I have a 140amp from (I think , Powerhouse??) I have two 30 amp fans, stand alone efi, all workng lights, horn etc, two aeromotive pumps, and had a trans cooler fan at one time plus elect boost controller, trans brake. It has always done good and acctually has a dial on the back to adjust the voltage. You can turn it up to 16v if you need to run that setup.