1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

x pipe vs h pipe vs straight pipe for 900hp street car

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by pound4pound, Oct 25, 2012.

1. pound4pound

hello i have a twin turbo car and was wondering whats the best set up for the exhaust. i will have dual cut outs for when i want to race but want a good set up for when im roaming the streets x pipe vs h pipe vs straight pipe for 900hp street car.... i have 3 inch down pipes should i run 2 x 2.5 exhaust that i already have or step up to 2 x 3 inch....i dont have room to run anything larger. thanks

2. 302f150

I would NOT step down the exhaust size after the downpipes(twin turbos each with 3" downpipes correct?). You want as little backpressure as possible.

I have seen testing and X pipes tend to flow better than H pipes on N/A setups. H pipes have a more raspy sound, X pipes are more smooth. I don't really know if the scavenging effects of either are valid after a turbo however

3. pound4pound

ok again thanks man ..... i think ill try to set something up with all 3 inch ..... i was thinking about running something like this
    (387-50231 Flowtech Purple Hornies Header Muffler) from Jegs Flowtech #387-50231

... i was going to put turn downs on it any way but i have 3 inch header collectors so it would be super easy to plumb this up ..... i wold however paint it high temp black though purple is gay....lol

4. Destr0

I was under the impression that on a turbo setup it is best to run straight pipes- X pipe can cause problems with pulses interfering with with the other side turbo. Could just be someone making stuff up- I am still new at this whole turbo thing. My car is running straight pipes with no crossover.

:)

5. 302f150

I had a friend that grew up in Kansas and all his racing stuff is dark metallic purple(their team colors with some flair apparently). It doesn't look bad, I run a dynomax ultraflow SS straight through. I just posted a few days ago about sound comparison, definitely go straight through and not scalloped or chambered mufflers

6. ducatibrian

no h or x needed, as straight thru as possible with the least restrictions for best flow

7. cat herder

I don't agree... H/X-pipe not only smooths out the exhaust note and makes it much less 'ratty', but each pulse (such as there is after the exhaust's been through the turbine) going downstream has access to both mufflers via the crossover point. Without tying the two banks together pulses from each bank are restricted to only that bank's muffler & tailpipe.

8. ducatibrian

cat herder,
    sound quality is personal preference for the most part. crossovers on turbo cars for noise are ok (limited wave pulse after turbine), but from the data i have been shown if exhaust volume is sufficient the crossover is not helping the power aspect. even 3in on a street car is quite good if installed / fabricated well. not much restriction if limited bends and good mufflers...my .02

i would agree on a street style / stock style exhaust anything to "show" the increase in volume post turbine really can not hurt.

pound4pound-go 3in if you have the room

9. pound4pound

thanks i will see what i come up with hey do me a fav and look at those jegs header mufflers i listed above ... what you think

10. pound4pound

387-50231 Flowtech Purple Hornies Header Muffler

11. cat herder

Why use mufflers built to bolt directly to a header collector when you aren't going to be using them that way? Why not just get 3"in/out straight through (not chambered (Flowmaster) or multi-pass ('turbo' muffler))? :scratch:

12. slowboat

Restrictive spiral louver junk.