1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Where did you put you y pipe(single turbo)

Discussion in 'Ford Modular Forum' started by DiGiam42, Jun 18, 2009.

1. DiGiam42

I posted this in the tech forum with little response so here we go in here. I ended up with my y pipe from my down pipe close to the rear of the car. I have my Y, then the mufflers had to go about 3 inches after the Y. My question is, if I move the Y a little farther back, will it get rid of some of the raspiness. I had dynomax race bullits on the car and they were to raspy and popped a lot. I put oval magnaflows on the car and it was a lot quieter but I lost about 600-700 rpm of spool time. Im wondering if I move the Y way back and put an H pipe like balancer in it, would it sound any better. Id like to put the dynomax race bullits back on. Any help would be great

2. 97_Cobra

im unsure if placement would change the sound all that much, i mean i think it would to a degree but the tone would be the same using the same mufflers. i run magnaflow's on mine and i dont mind the sound, just kind of sounds like a stock cobra with a cat back, im surprised you lost spool time switching to the magnaflows assuming they are straight through design. i think if you incorporate an h-x pipe in the mix it will change the sound up a bit for sure, to what degree i dunno.
    just run it off the dp :chacha:

3. DiGiam42

I went from straight thru dynomax race bullets to offset/offset magnaflows which are straight thru just not as much a straight shot as the dynomax mufflers were. The magnaflows have a little bit of that tin can sound every now and then but the race bullets were even worse. I just know that I had been driving my car with the race bullets for about 2 months, then switched to the magnaflows and the first time I hit the gas I thought I had a problem. I was like, damn Im not building any boost. I thought I had blown off a coupling or something. So I got it in third gear and held it to the floor and finally the boost started to climb but it was 600 rpm later and it hit a lot slower. I also added tailpipes at the same time when I switched mufflers so that could be adding to the problem as well. I had the bullets dumped. Im going to try to put the Y as close to the engine as I can and add a balance tube(H-pipe) somewhere inline. I think im going to go back to a dumped set-up rather than tailpipes as well. We will see. I dont really care how loud it is. I just want it not to have that tin can popping noise. That drives me nuts.

4. 97_Cobra

thats surprising.
    i ran my car off the downpipe over the weekend and didnt notice any power difference from not being connected to my catback, maybe the louder the noise the faster it feels for you? haha

5. T76 Mach

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad