1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Can I run only 1 o2 Sensor on my foxbody mustang?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mill Creek Mafia, Apr 9, 2008.

1. Mill Creek Mafia

So my question is like stated. I was wondering is there any way i can run only 1 o2 sensor since i have 2 bungs in my down pipe on my HP kit. Is there any way i can just wire both plugs for the 2 sensors together and somehow manage to make the computer thing both o2's are working while only recieving the signal from one. I mean the o2's are both in the same downpipe so it's not like they are reading different banks or anything. Feel free to whore me for being an idiot. I really have no idea if this is possible, i just figured if i could save myself the trouble of welding another bung in, then i would. Thanks for the help. I tried to do a search, but no one else is as dumb as me i guess LOL.

2. turbstang82

i recently thought of this also, haven't looked much into it. should be interesting to see what people think.

3. Mill Creek Mafia

If anyone can help me out i'd appreciate it. i've got to head to work now, but i'll check back at 7:30amish when i get home. Thanks guys.

4. Coupelx

i never got a good answer on this either.

i have just my wideband that has a narrowband simulate and no narrowband sensors. i wired the 2 inputs to the narrowband sim output and it seems to work ok. ill find out for sure this weekend when i go on a little 140mile trip

5. Mill Creek Mafia

let me know how the gas mileage works out for you. i'm curious if it ends up running like without o2's. I wanted to see so i could return one o2 sensor but looks like i'm going to weld a bung in since no one on here seems to know the answer to my question.

6. LowTensLX

Isn't Chris running his car with no factory O2s and just his wideband? That is what I was going to do. When I bought my Notch it had both O2 sensors cutoff and just threaded in as pipe plugs and my car idled and seemed to run fine. My plan at this point is to NOT run the factory O2s unless I have problems.

7. Mill Creek Mafia

no chris is running o2's. sorry rick i didn't realize that was you I was posting to. i'm going to weld my bung in here after UPS shows up with my pigtail for my air meter. as long as that goes well my car should be ready to get the rear end parts swapped out, then get up to OCR to get pipe bent to connect my mufflers to my Y pipe.

8. LowTensLX

No problem, Billy. I am going to try to run mine without the factory O2s. If it doesn't work, then I'll weld in a bung for my wideband.

9. Mill Creek Mafia

i just welded mine in earlier... did 2 quick pulls in it. it runs hard, and now i just need to do some tuning this weekend. I might see about coming up to OCR if i can get my exhuast put on.

10. 65ShelbyClone

With a J3 chip or a tuner of some kind, you can get into the EEC and shut off the second O[sub]2[/sub] sensor input.

If you have a wideband like an LM-1 or LC-1, you can use the narrowband output to simulate the stock sensor while you use the wideband for tuning and logging. It's a good idea to keep an O[sub]2[/sub] sensor for the stock computer. There again, a J3 or tuner can alter the conditions under which the narrowband feedback is used or ignored.

11. 93svt331

interesting..

12. mustangless

I don't have a foxbody, but I wouldn't think that would be much different than a 94 gt. My car has only the passenger side o2 hooked up. I used tweecer to make it ignore the drivers side. I would not try that without getting a tuner/chip though.

13. Mill Creek Mafia

what i'm trying to figure out is if there is a way to wire both o2 harnesses to recieve the same signal from 1 o2 sensor.. because i have a downpipe not dual exhuast anymore.

14. LowTensLX

I don't see why you couldn't. The only thing that I would be concerned about is if the voltage would drop do to the split of the signal through two wires.

15. mustang-junky

I did this when I was running efi. It works well.

Jess