1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

low mount turbo

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by raceme9s, Nov 3, 2004.

1. raceme9s

I am currently in the process of Turbocharging a SBC 408ci in my 1994 Camaro Z28. It is a carborated setup and the turbo is going to be almost lower than the oil pan on the nose of the car [near the front passenger bumper signal].

Need to know what kind of oil pump people using a low-mounted turbo use? I have been told that the Tilton Differential Pump works well for that kind of application but I'm not suer about pressure is associated with the pump and what not? Also, do most use an external 'sump pan' [off the turbo] of some sort and how do they use that in the space available.

Any info would be greatly appreciated... O yea, it will have a T-91:D

2. 351Freak

there was a link to a kick butt billet sump that screws into the turbo outlet a week or so ago...see if you can "search it up"...I'm sure someone will post the link...

3. Allblk_01gt

Hmmmm tried a search to no avail.... we've been talking about different methods to setting up raceme9s' car but can't find exactly what we want or direct information to who has done it. I'll keep searching though:cool:

4. BOSs5.0

That's because the post title said nothing about what was inside the post.. here is a pic of the sump..

5. Snipe656

that collector is for sale in the classifieds on here, you will still need a pump to work with it though. Might want to PM the guy selling the collector since he was researching options not too long ago.

6. turbostang

I have two different cars running now with low mount turbo kits, both cars use a canister "catch can" which is a necessity!!!! Trust me on this one. There is no pressure after the turbo it is just "falling" oil.. The tilton pump works well but it is noisy.. and I have a Comp 140 Fuel pump that works great on my car and is super quiet.s

7. raceme9s

Re: Re: low mount turbo

Is there any chance you have pics of your setups? And what kind of catch can are you talking about? One similiar to the one from Precision that is posted above?

8. BOSs5.0

Re: Re: low mount turbo

It would be cool if you had pics of this. I"m sure everyone wants to see it since you are using a "fuel pump", and that is probably alot cheaper than the Weldon units.

9. turbostang

There are many more of my pictures floating around here but this is one before I realized I had to make the catch cans. My catch cans are similar to the one posted above - but they are bigger. (3" tubing about 3" long capped on the ends.)

10. Allblk_01gt

I think that first catch can from Prescion is very nice..... leaning towards that because of how well constructed it looks. But using a Fuel Pump to get the oil back into the oil pan??? I have a gravity feed on my GP and the other turbo projects I've been involved with have been gravity fed.... so i have no merit in the low-mount world.... but I question BLOWING the oil back into the pan with a fuel pump? I'm sure you could put restrictors and keep the pressure down by adjusting it, but I just don't know enough about a fuel pump in that instance.

And wouldn't you want the fuel pump almost RIGHT off the catch can? For that matter ANY pump very close to the catch can.... not a few feet away?

11. Inda10s

He said..."There are many more of my pictures floating around here but this is one before I realized I had to make the catch cans. My catch cans are similar to the one posted above - but they are bigger. (3" tubing about 3" long capped on the ends.)

Seems like he has already fixed that problem without that same without having catch cans..nice setup, id like to see more of it.

12. turbostang

I ended up having to make the cans after the picture above was taken. The oil is too foamy and there is not enough of it for the pump to pull against (the reason for making the catch cans) Withouth the catch cans the pump would just cavitate and the oil would back up into the pan.

Allblk_01gt - Believe what you want and do whatever you want.. You'll end up changing it to what works. The fuel pump doesn't "blow" the oil back into the pan - there's not enough oil to do that. It just barely makes it back to the pan because it is so areated.

13. Allblk_01gt

Hmmm Fair enough.... that is the answer I was looking for:cool: Makes sense about the pressure behind the pump. Thanks for the info TurboStang

14. turbostang

good luck !!! let us know how it goes. :D

15. soon2befast

I used the Mocal oil pump awesome pump 179.99$Bucky!
    It will hold up to 300deg oil.
    Im in the pross in puting a oil cooler a small one before the pump
    just for a little Ins.;)
    I got the pump from Racer Parts Wholesale #1800-397-7815
    Part # MOC-17522HT flow rate 1.0-2.0 gpm and up to 54psi
    8amp current draw weight is 3.5lbs 3/8inc NPT fitting

Man did i have big problems with Killing all the bugs in town:D

16. soon2befast

Here it is from Precision

17. raceme9s

do they need to be bigger or is the otherone ok...?

don't you mean it would back up into the turbo or how would it
    back up into the pan..?

how much oil press should i run to the turbo I know it should be low but how low and how do you get it lower ..?
    I heard you can put a nos jet in the line to lower the press is this true..?

Im new at this turbo stuff ...:confused: I've only used [nos] before now..

thanks for all the help:cheers:

18. soon2befast

Ok to slow the oil flow down to the turbo i used a small needle valve from AceHardware put it in line and brought it down to 25 psi and no smoke or leakes.I called Garret to make sure it was ok and all go it was!!The part 3.00$ and some change back

19. Forced302

I have a few pictures of my low mount set-up as well. I use the Comp 110 fuel pump. Quiet, and best of all, doesn't tax my electrical system like the Jabsco's do.

Jeff C.
    www.geocities.com/turbo5oh

20. soon2befast

Forced302 do you have a flatmount I/C?And is your turbo on the pass side?Thanks Jason