1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wrap vs Paint

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by silverbullet4x4, May 18, 2013.

1. silverbullet4x4

Hopefully soon I will be changing the color of the fox to matte black. That being said, which is a better way to accomplish that, wrap or paint? I have heard both good and bad about wraps but most of the bad comes from people who used cheap wrap. Thoughts/opinions?:pistols:

2. madspeed

same topic, different forum, same answer... PlastiDip it!

3. stangman9897

You going to have it wrapped or try it yourself. ?

4. stangman9897

He said his car not his pliers. :grin:

5. silverbullet4x4

I would have it professionally done. I don't have a place to be painting or wrapping my car right now. The main reason behind this thread was to get some input from guys who have wrapped their cars before and what kind of luck they had with them. As one may assume the internet is full of jackwagons saying they are the best/worst thing in the world. The more I think about it, the matte black thing has been done too many times. Opinions on color?

[​IMG]#ad

No the wheels are only temporary, I was thinking black FR500's in the near future. Also thinking about trying to fit a stock hood back on it as well.

6. TTF/Ken Staff Member

I'm partial to a very dark blue on that car.

7. silverbullet4x4

It's funny you mention that. The wife and I both drive darker blue cars lol. Mine is a sonic blue focus and hers is a midnight blue BMW. She suggested a crazy color, I'm not too sure how I feel about that. Any further explaination as to how dark we are talking?

8. TTF/Ken Staff Member

9. silverbullet4x4

10. stangman9897

I've been thinking of having my Cobra wrapped but not a solid color . My brother has all the company trucks wrapped with his company shit on them and even the 18 wheelers holds up really well as far as i see and i planned on using the same people , they said they would hook me up and im looking at like $1850 for the graphics i want. The 18 wheeler has been wrapped for 3 years now and still looks great and not coming off anywhere.

11. silverbullet4x4

That is similar to what I have heard. A guy roaming around town has his racecar wrapped a solid matte white and he told me that it has been wrapped for the better part of 5 years and he has no complaints about it. However it was kind of expensive. He said it ran him around $3200. I'm too indecisive, hence the reason for this thread.

12. turbofreek

Wrap isn't much price difference from paint. 3k easily. You can get matte black or white in the platidip. I actually love the color of your car besides the hood. I also love thw cobra wheels on a fox body. Leave it and paint rhe hood to match or go stock hood. But keep the white as is. Maybe fix the imperfections if need be but its cheaper to stick with the stock color.

13. stangman9897

Im going to repaint my GT this summer and it's white and it's to much trouble to change colors so im going with the white pearl on the Infinity's or the Cadalic white pearl. Or just mix my own white pearl, even thought about doing the Diamond dust , haven't done one of those in years and it would really blow people away. Last diamond dust i did was a block for a T Bucket with a 671 on top and in the sun it was awesome, need to see if you can still buy the shit.

14. silverbullet4x4

Why would you say it would be too much trouble to change the color of the car? Don't want to break the car all the way down to shoot seams?

The main reason behind changing colors is that I am not too fond of the white, maybe a metallic or pearl could change my mind, and the pain that is on the car is in rather rough condition. By that I mean that it is chalky and not much clearcoat left on it at all. I am really looking into a darker gray or dark green. I'm not sure why, maybe cause it is different. As for the wheels I will probably end up with either black or anthracite FR500's.

15. stangman9897

To change colors you need the motor out to do the engine bay then you need to pull the fenders and doors to get color over all the white, unless you want a blue car with white when you open the doors or hood. I looked last nite and they still sell diamond dust and i will probably reshoot mine white and do the diamond dust in the clear, it's like nothing you've ever seen in the sun. It's real diamond dust from where they cut and grind industrail diamonds and in the sun each speck has all the colors of the rainbow, just like a real diamond in the sun. Last time i used it we used like 400 micron dust and it only takes a pinch the size of a pea to do a can of clear.

16. silverbullet4x4

True, but then again the car will probably stay this color until the stock short block decides to commit sucide. Do you have any pictures of this diamond stuff? Google isn't returning much helpful information.

17. stangman9897

I don't know if anybody else has ever done it. It was something me and a pinstriper buddy of mine came up with 30 years ago just playing around with shit at his shop. It looks like fine metallic until the sun hits it and it's like some one plugged it in, but it's not some crazy looking shit like Bass Boat metalflake it's super fine, like i said we used 400 micron which is smaller than regular metallic paint. I had photo's of all that shit until my crazy ex G/F burned them all.
    Last time i messed with it a buddy of his had a T Bucket with a 427 BBF and a 671 on top and i painted the block a dark maroon and put some in the clear over it and it popped like a M/F in the sun, it's one of those deals that make you look at it and wonder WTF it is. We only did 3 cars with it and they turned out really nice.

You have to find someone like this and see if they have it fine enough for painting, the one draw back is trying to sand it off with diamond in it.

http://www.krupaleegems.com/Natural_Diamond_Powder.htm

Last edited: May 26, 2013
  18. silverbullet4x4

Sounds cool, if you end up going that route I'm in for some pics.:thumbsup: