1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Would'nt it be cool to put a couple of these in a really light mustang?

Discussion in 'Advanced Tech Section' started by mustang-junky, Dec 4, 2008.

1. mustang-junky

I am not sure if this is the proper location for this, if not mod please move.

Anyway Ford rates these at 90 HP each;

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/EV-E...ryZ33615QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Pullin the wheels from a stop light(motor and batteries in the back of course ;) :D) and not making any noise. I think that that would be real cool.

Now for anyone with knowledge of what it would take to make this happen, please share. Links and other info would be nice too, I have heard of people doing this with lift truck motors.

This whole thing is a pipe dream for me, I don't have 5 to 10K sitting around to spend on such a project. Maybe someone else may be inspired...

Jess

2. Hemann

That is crazy someone is able to get those. Can't get batteries, contollers, etc. but has these motors? Someone made too many is my guess.

Cool find!

3. Boost Engineer

This pretty much says it all:

"(Again, We Do Not Have The Batteries, Controller / Inverter or Any Other Parts, Just The Motor.)"

The Controller, Inverter, Batteries, etc are the backbone of the system, the motors are one small part of the deal. Neat find but like owning a Mickey Thompson made Aluminum Connecting Rod. There are other ways to get the same result. WEIGHT, as you mentioned, being one of them.

I personally have looked into building a tube chassis sand rail type vehicle with a good 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder conventional gasoline engine. This vehicle is able to be licensed on the road, can carry 4 people in one configuration, is safer than many "Dune Buggy or motorcycle transportation vehicles". The only issue would be wearing a snowmobile suit in the colder weather if the vehicle were driven in that environment. Lots of that clothing available from manufacturers.

Thanks for the interesting question.

Tom Vaught

4. bgjohnson

After buying the required equipement, the cost would be rediculous.

5. BlownShovel

A few guys at work are planning EV builds. I will fab the parts to make things work. Not so much performance builds but daily drivers to save money. They plan on spending $5-6000 in parts bolted to a vehicle of their choice. Probably a Ranger or S10 as many have already performed this conversion.

As far as COOL ev projects Bill D. has been running his killacycle for .. heck I don't even know how long but I met him long ago on the old dragnet list

http://www.killacycle.com/

6. mustang-junky

7. Clutch1911

that vid was incredible, would love something like that.

8. Andy Dorsett

I should be able to answer any questions anybody has on this subject. I will start with some random thoughts pertaining to applying this motor. You would need a three phase inverter. Lots of sources for this if you get one designed to work from three phase comercial power and mod it to access the dc bus. The motor says it is designed for use with a 250V battery but from its maximum 380V ac rating it would clearly require a dc-dc converter to step the battery voltage up. A 380V inverter would need around a 550V dc bus. You could use different batteries to get around 550V and run the inverter directly from this. The bike metioned above uses A123 lithium ion cells and they would be a good source since they will sell cells in low volume to individuals. You would need a charger to charge the batteries. You would need fusing to isolate the batteries from a fault. If you opt for the battery - dc/dc converter - inverter option you would need fusing between the converter and inverter also. The car's existing radiator would be overkill for all the electronics and motor and therefore be great. A 1 GPM pump for the inverter (assuming a liquid cooled inverter) and 2 GPM pump for the motor would be about right.

By no means would I recommend anyone do this. This info should be for curiosity only. A project like this would cost a lot and yield poor overall performance; however, I will continue to educate anyone on the basics like this and allow them to come to this conclusion on thier own.

9. Boost Engineer

Thanks for the INFO, Andy, you just got promoted to answering high tech "Wire Bender" type questions. I understood what you said but could not duplicate your post from scratch if I wanted to. LOL! I be an ME.

Tom Vaught

10. Silverfox

It seems that custom golf carts are the craze as of late. Would be a neat setup if everything would fit under a golf cart.

11. BottleFed70

They are going to have a hard time doing it for 5-6k. I've seriously looked into this myself. 5-6k is possible if using a really small car (cheaper less HP motor, less batteries, smaller controller, smaller charger, etc). But if you want to build a mid-sized vehicle, with a decent amount of power and range (say 40 miles). They'll be looking at closer to 10k by the time everything is done.

What really killed me was the batteries. Typical home built EV uses lead-acid golf cart batteries, approx 10-12 of them. At $250 a pop, the batteries get expensive real quick... but the killer is that they only have a typical lifespan of 3 years in a daily driven EV. So you're looking at $3000 every few years for new batteries. That's almost as much as what I pay for gasoline in my little DD.

12. BlownShovel

They are both looking for cheap and light vehicles and have laid out the "initial" costs. Not looking for power as they are hobbyists that think the overall cost will be cheaper.. now with 1.50 gasoline they wouldn't save a dime. I bet they pull the trigger when it pops back over $3 but with any project you always need something else. I only have a 5 mile commute at under 45 mph so I could put much less HW and batteries into a electric vehicle.. but I'd rather drive a turbocharged vehicle to work well above the speed limit :D

13. workedmerk

Light does not pertain to electric cars with lead acid. To get 550v dc, you would need roughly 40 12v batteries, at say 40 pounds each, that works out to 1600lbs... LI-ion batteries are nice for a package / power side, but big bucks compared to lead acid, and they also have strict charging / cell balancing requirements, that having less that a perfect understanding of them will just ruin a large investment. Nimh batteries have more power per cube if you will than lead acid, and save weight, and are easy to charge, but they go up in price. One good source in wrecked prius's. No ni-cad batteries have lower cell voltage, but have such low interal resistance, that the have superior surge current capacities in hi-drain devise's vs NImh, as ni-mh batteries have a volatage drop at high current rates. However ni-cads also have a hi self-dicharge rate.. Charging ni-cads has it's problems as well as thier resistance drops as they heat up, and with out proper charger/s you can destroy the battery pack. Hence all those expensive charges for your rc cars.

14. BlownShovel

Light is a relative term. Much better to start with a 2500lb car than a 4,000 lb Cadillac