1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Would this be a good trade?

Discussion in 'General Discussion Forum For Non-Auto Topics' started by jfoster33702, Jul 9, 2007.

1. jfoster33702

I have an 03 Mach 1 and I am thinking about going whipple. Would it be a good trade to swap all of my parts for the 03/04 cobra parts, minus the eaton? So, trade my front cover, balancer, coolant crossover, power steering lines, mach 1 intake, and anything else needed for a cobra balancer/lower, front cover, coolant crossover, power steering lines, lower intake/intercooler, HE brackets?

Obviously, the Cobra owner that I would be trading with would be going turbo..

2. Big Top GT

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but don't you have the same heads on the Mach as the cobra?

I'd think the whipple would be a direct bolt on.

The biggest difference is the forged pistons and rods in the 03 Cobra.

Assuming I'm right, you'd be swapping parts for the exact same parts you already have, minus the blower.

3. TT_05_Stang

You are correct. they have the same heads, I am not sure about the front cover though, if it has the bolt holes for the added pulleys. I think it has one more idler up top on the cobras?

Will

4. TurboShortBus

There are tons of little differences that will have you inventing profanity while enjoying your downtime. For example, I believe that there's an extra bolt on the 2003 Cobra front timing cover, and there isn't a threaded hole for it in the aluminum block (unless you want to do a bunch of welding, drilling, and tapping). Besides, you're going to make a TON of work for yourself to pull off the swap. It would be a lot easier and quicker to just grab a 2003 Cobra engine and drop it in your Mach, then get the ECU reprogrammed.

Here's a better idea: Sell your Mach 1 and buy a Cobra.

Mark

5. TT_05_Stang

or turbo the mach 1 :2thumbs:

6. jfoster33702

Thanks for the advise :huh: I happen to like my car. It has 7000 miles on it and I'm building a shortblock for it right now. Stciking with aluminum as well.. Along with tubular suspension and the live axle, it's going to be a bit lighter than a cobra as well, which I like. I have a T56 that's going in as well.

Yes, the heads are the same - I wouldn't be swapping those. Just the intake and front cover (yes, it's a different front cover) A bunch of other little nick nacks. I found someone locally going turbo, so we are going to swap parts - I'm sure I'll need to find a handfull of little things, but the main pieces are going be taken care of.

7. cooper1320

sounds good to me, Good luck

8. TurboShortBus

I like my car, too, but in hindsight, this 2004 Cobra engine swap into my 1994 GT wasn't the smartest of decisions, although it looks pretty cool. I should have either 1) built a serious 302 and kept my old turbo kit, or 2) bought a used 03/04 Cobra. #1 seems like the better option, but since my project is mostly done, I'll keep going with it.

Good luck to you, since you seem hell-bent on this and you expect no complications. I expected few complications as well, and I was dead wrong. I should have gone with a simple swap that would have taken less than a year and a half and saw my car playing security guard for my jackstands for quite a while.

Do yourself a favor, though...search around on here, and look for a guy who built an aluminum shortblock for his 03/04 Cobra. See what he had to do to his aluminum block to make the timing cover properly bolt on. You could probably fill the extra bolt hole with RTV (as the other guy said he would not do), but work like that is considered hack-ish.

Mark

9. big dave

If you are going roots/twin screw it is a good deal. The parts you are getting are worth far more than the parts you're giving up. There are a lot of little things that need to be added to your list for things to go smoothly tho.

Check SVTPerformance for several threads with detailed instruction as to what will be needed. There are a LOT of parts needed from his car to do this right/without costing you tons of money in little odds and ends that are 03/04 Cobra specific.

Good luck with it - you will enjoy the torque. I still say like others tho.... add a built bottom end and six speed to yours as planned but go turbo! Once you get the whipple and all the other crap needed paid for, you'll have almost spent the money it would take to go turbo.

.02 From someone who's had two 03's

10. big dave

Not knocking 03's by the way just stating relevance of my opinion... LOL

We converted my brothers 01 Cobra to an 03 Cobra setup and it ended costing a ton in little parts that don't seem like much prior to digging into it all.

11. jfoster33702

Wow - it's been 3 years! and I'm just finishing this.... JUST KIDDING! :) Actually, I have another project going and had some stuff to sell that I thought you guys might like - but I cant post in classifieds untill I have 100 posts... I had more than 2 posts on the previous forum but.. :) I guess I'll be posting some more. So here's an update on my old Mach.

Car was completed in a few months and ran GREAT. I sold it, the new owner wrecked it and the guy who I traded for most of the cobra parts ended up buying the entire car at auction (I actually bid against him for it, neither of us realizing who the other bidder was!). Check this Augusts 5.0 Magazine to see the car - red Mach1.

While the swap was a lot of work, it wasn't as tricky as everyone seems to think. Most of the parts are OEM, so there are usually holes already waiting to take bolts and parts generally fit right into place like they were meant to. The part I had the most trouble with, believe it or not, was getting the shaker fixed to the actual hood, rather than the motor.

http://www.mustang50magazine.com/featuredvehicles/m5lp_1008_2003_ford_mustang_cobra_mach_1_hybrid/index.html

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

[​IMG]#ad

12. furchaser

13. jfoster33702

..parts that I thought you guys would be interested in.

The fact is that I never went away - I've been lurking for incon parts and have actually contacted an purchased other parts from members on the forum.

Sad to see that you feel such an attachment and self-ownership of the forum that you overreact in such a way. I hope your ego is sufficiently inflated. Good luck with that, I'm sure it's gotten you far in life.

14. 99TTGT

correct

15. 99TTGT

no need to drill anything
    this is a common swap this days,everything will work just fine

16. 99TTGT

On a 94/95 a 351W or 408 with a Billet 94mm would be m a better choice,IMOP

BTW
    the shops OWTLAW car make 1600rwhp with the 94mm & 2000rwhp with the billet 114mm

17. turbofreek

Got news for you. You wake up a three year old thread and announce shit forsale. Don't expect that to happen any time soon.

18. amnima

Car looks nice once you got finished! Welcome back!

19. jfoster33702

That's fine. I contributed to the old forum YEARS ago. I simply announced that I realized that these rules existed and that I intended on following them by starting to again attempt to contrbute to this forum.

And yes, I woke up an old thread...my thread...to give the conclusion to my project. If you have a problem with how I've handled this then I guess you guys are so big that you don't need me, my knowledge or the parts that I NEVER even posted.

Besides - who do you think your fooling anyway? - having a 100 post requirement before listing classifieds is meant to both promote people to post and help reduce scams , right? That's all I'm trying to do here, but obviously the turbomustangs I knew is long gone.

You could only wish that 7 year long members remember this site after a long break and return to start posting again. Hell of a welcome back. This site seems to have gone the all high and mighty route of corner carvers - and you can count me out... not that I had much to offer anyway :chacha:

Delete my account, thanks.

20. jfoster33702

I almost forgot. In a previous life, I paid to advertise here as well. As a previous site sponsor you would think people wouldn't be so shitty.

Have a nice day (read between the lines on that one...)

Ps - thank you amnima, for the polite post.