1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Would these work with my 441 SBC?

Discussion in 'DIY and Junkyard Turbo Tech' started by wht73, Nov 1, 2018.

1. wht73

I made these for my "next" engine but my "next" engine seemed to have grown!
    I'm worried of the primary pipes being a lil on the small side for 441ci's.
    They fit good as I spent the time making them go where I needed them.
    I know I've been reminded NOT to think like the N/A way...... but it's hard not too!
    Any thoughts would be appreciated.

turbo 1.jpg #ad

turbo 2.jpg #ad

turbo 3.jpg #ad

2. Mnlx

What heads? Is the id at least as large as the port? 1.5" is small.

3. wht73

Not sure yet on the heads. At least 230+ on the intake. Yeah the add said when I bought they were 1 5/8

4. Mnlx

I would look for something different. You don't want huge primaries, but with those cubes, and a decent head, 1.750" sounds more inline.

5. wht73

Yeah, this is what I was thinking. Oh well, my son will have to use them on his C10!

6. Mnlx

I wouldn't be against 1.625 if they match the port, but I also wouldn't worry about going to a 1.750"

turbofreek likes this.
  7. wht73

8. wht73

3x2.25 reducer.jpg #ad

What do you think of using one of these 3" x 2.25" reducers with the 90* bend with t4 flange from the original mock up to keep velocity up on the end of the pic above 1-3/4" primary headers?

Last edited: Nov 4, 2018
  9. wht73

Or just use these? It would make attaching the WG a lil easier.
    t4 elbow.jpg #ad

10. B E N

If you need to run a reducer its best to make the reduction segment as long as possible, that one looks really short and may hurt velocity rather than improve it.

wht73 likes this.
  11. wht73

Yeah that makes sense. When I first did the exhaust on my N/A combo, I had 1' long 3" to 2.5" reducers. The problem is I'm running out of real estate up there!
    So it's looking like the elbows for me!
    Like I said, it will also be a little bit easier to tap for the W/G too.

12. Mnlx

With your cid, and if it's a short run to the turbos, there's no need to reduce it imo. Small up pipes help the most when they're in long runs.

13. wht73

Well they arrived today! Look very nice!
    The only pipe that “looks” close is the #1 pipe “might” be close to the control arm but I think there is plenty of room. Especially with aftermarket heads.
    Battery is in trunk now so all that’s left is getting rid of the booster for down pipe.

D82413C0-BF97-4FD7-A2C3-2DC8684F76FA.jpeg #ad

E404E946-2CFB-40FA-A1DF-778F60C24F77.jpeg #ad

tbird likes this.
  14. wht73

Ok got the bigger primary's for the big engine but have another clearance issue now.
    Too close to rad support. I know I could slip a 3/4" T4 spacer and move it away from the rad but still 2.25" off the support.
    IMG_0664.jpg #ad

Last edited: Dec 2, 2018
  15. wht73

I'm thinking of doing a tight radius 3" 90 to go towards the rad then back towards the MC and basically the same distance off the fender but back to the original spot so I can get an air filter on behind the head light.
    That, OR get pie shaped pcs and 30* it into the corner but the waste gate nipple would still be a problem.
    Should have got them without anything on then. With the U bend, I might still be able to use them.
    Thoughts?

16. wht73

Here's the "original" spot I had planned on.
    IMG_0087.JPG #ad

17. B E N

Two t4 flanges with a pipe in between to space it back up to your old spot.

Maybe flip the turbo backwards and deal with the forward facing exhaust.

18. wht73

Never thought of that!

19. 91turboterror

Do you have the room to rotate the turbo 90 degrees to the pass side? You might have to cut and rotate the t4 adapter flange.then you should have enough room for an air filter and you could use a 90 and run it straight back towards the master or straight out if you want a fender exit

20. wht73

I think that's what Ben was saying, just flip it so the inlet faces the master. That's what you were saying rt? IDK if I want to do that. If you were talking about using the 2.25" pipe, that was the old setup. I could use that to just reduce it from the collector,
    [​IMG]#ad
    use a 2.25" tight U bend and put it where I need....but may make too much velocity with the 441" engine where as If I use 3" and do the same thing, it "should" slow it a smidge.
    probably wrong tho..