1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Worth changing up an HX35?

Discussion in 'Turbo Diesel Forum' started by Slednx440, Feb 26, 2019.

1. Slednx440

So I'm still learning how to make a truly efficient turbo setup. At the moment my 98 24 valve cummins is coming up for needing a new turbo. So here is what I'm wondering. I have a barely used hx35 turbo but I need a different compressor housing to use it on my truck, so would it be worth it to throw a larger compressor wheel in with a new housing? Is it even going to help anything?

I don't have a budget for a new upgraded turbo such as a borgwarner right now. I also tow frequently with this truck and other then a boost fooler and a minor tuner the truck is stock. Would it be better to just swap my current turbo compressor housing onto the barely used turbo then just keep saving for a better turbo or would I be better off throwing a larger wheel at the barely used hx35 and run it for a few years since I don't plan to be throwing much more power at this truck for awhile.

2. B E N

Run the hx35 with your compressor housing for now, it will cost you nothing and get you by for a while. When you learn what will work well and what you really want then its time to spend money on it.

3. Mnlx

I don't think i'd swap the wheel. Until you start adding some hp, I don't see the need, and even then, i'd go with a turbo upgrade versus just the compressor wheel. Sell the 35 when the time comes rather than throwing a wheel, cover, and balance at it.