1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Getting frustrated trying to tune Megasquirt..

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by GTPTim, Jun 28, 2006.

1. GTPTim

:bang:
    Please, let me start out by saying that I consider myself to be fairly intelligent, and didn't just 'slap this together', I've been researching Megasquirt for the last 3 months, at least. I have searched, this board, the MS forums, corral, etc. so please don't tell me to search.. Thanks!!

My setup: freshly rebuilt 302, stock, with FelPro 93333-PT1 headgaskets with ARP head bolts, 42 lb injectors, FPR set at 35 PSI without vacuum, twin T3 .63/.60 turbos with internal wastegates set to their stock levels, DSM BOV, and timing set at 8deg without the shunt. I have a Megasquirt 1 version 2 and LM-1 Wideband 02 sensor for engine control. The Megasquirt is running fuel only at this point. I am using my stock ford ignition for now.

My issue: I have gotten the car to start, and run a little up and down the road (this is after I popped both HG's earlier in the month) but it shudders. It idles great, but isn't really drivable. I have the Megatune software, as well as MSTweak3000, which I get a javascript error when I fire up.
    I have gotten the constants in Megasquirt set to where my research and the megamanual has directed me, but I guess you're not supposed to use the VE Table generator for a turbocharged application, since it's a non-linear curve when under boost. That makes sense to me. I have read the section on tuning with Megasquirt and setting the VE tables for a turbocharged application, but for some reason the more I read it the more confused I become. I have tried the online version, but after I enter my values the entire generated VE table consists of 'NaN' values. I am really getting frustrated. It's like the light bulb just isn't turning on when I read this, and so far I have not yet been able to find specific help for my issue. I want to drive and enjoy my car, but don't want to blow anything up. I want to do this right, but I just can't figure this out! Can someone give me some ideas as to what I'm doing wrong, or maybe a set of clearer tuning directions? I know this has been done before by others. I KNOW I can figure this out. I know I can tune this, and I'm not giving up, I'm just asking for some help. Can anyone give me some assistance please? :huh: Thanks in advance for any help!!!

2. Daddy

You sound just like I did a couple of months ago. I got my car running with MS (just stock 5.0 right now), but it just wasn't running right. I read through the manuals, read through everything on the internet and did what I was supposed to, but some things just didn't make sense and it still didn't run right. SOOOO I let the car sit for a couple of weeks. Then last weekend I sat down and started over from scratch with everything. I reread the manual and finally for some strange reason things started to make more sense and I actually found some things that I overlooked or missed before. Needless to say my car is idleling great now, it fires up right away (before it would take a while and wouldn't start after it was warmed up), I got my AE's set right, I got my warmup enrichments set right. Next I just need to get some time where both kids are sleeping and the wife can watch them so I can get on the road and get it tuned right finally.

So in short maybe you just need to step back and take a rest for a little while and don't think about it, the madder you get the worse the outcome may be. Also it sounds like you have some sort of software error.

One more thing I just noticed, you basically have your timing locked at 8 degrees (you have the spout out). If you want to lock your timing that's fine, but consult this thread as to the best timing to set it at. https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/index.php?topic=45393.msg0#new

3. GTPTim

Well, I should specify too about the timing - I set it with the shunt out, but put it back in. So, it's 8 deg initial timing.

Thanks for your advice. I have actually let it sit for a while too after I blew my first set of headgaskets. After they blew, I took it apart and let it set for 2 weeks. When I went back to it I did see some stuff that I missed, (like setting the voltage for my wb in the configurator- oops!) but still can't figure out this VE table disaster. :huh:

4. slwt13

Work it out Timmy. I hate to hear stories lick this considering that I've got an MS sitting here waiting to be installed. The turbo kit is on the way but I'd like to have it running before I install it. Besides, I still haven't finished with the harness yet.

MegaTweak3000 was something else that I over looked.... OPPS!

Good luck and keep us up on you're progress.

5. Daddy

ahhhhhh gotcha now. Well I guess I'm not sure what else to tell you. I still think you have some sort of software trouble. Have you tried re-installing Megatune? I wish you the best of luck with it and I'm sure you'll figure it out, chances are it's just something simple.

I've been having trouble with my VE Table and Autotune, it keeps giving me really wierd numbers. Then I found out last night I had a bad vacuum source, so I move that to the old Map Sensor location (I have an 88) and I get nice good vacuum numbers.