1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wilwood safety wiring or loctite?

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Lebaron91, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Lebaron91

Is it mandatory to use safety wiring as per manufacturers instructions, or would it be a big crime to use only loctite?

2. AdamB

I debated the same thing, but ended up doing the safety wire. It was actually really easy and cheap. I'm not sure of the effects heat has with loctite and I didn't want to find out the hard way!

3. slowboat

I've done quite a few brake conversions and used red-loctite and no safety wire. Mostly drag only cars that don't see much street time. I can also say that I had to replace a couple rotors and had to apply serious heat to get the loctite to release so the bolts would come out. If you plan on doing some sanctioned racing maybe they have a rule book that would answer your question.

4. turbofreek

im in the middle of safety wiring my wilwoods now. i will say this, what is your life worth to you and your family? the safety wire is designed to do just that. save your life in case something should happen. such as a bolt doesnt stay tightened with just lock tight. the safety wire will tighten one bolt while the other is trying to loosen. thats what it does. so its up to you if you think its worth it. im all for it and this is my first time ive installed the wire. really easy to do. i can even sell you the pliers to use to do safety wiring for your brakes. i just bought it myself from a sponsor hear a few weeks ago. if you want it i can finish my brakes by the weekends over and sell them to you. if i have left over wire ill include it aswell. i think it was 25 bucks for the pliers, im not sure but id have to look at my pms to see what i paid for them. :2thumbs:

5. littlebluefoxbody

Safety wire is cheap and easy to use. If money is tight Harbor Freight has pliers for less than 10 buck. Buy good american made wire.......

6. Lebaron91

Thanks for your opinions! I had some wilwoods couple of years ago in my valiant and then I used loctite. It worked then, but think I try the wire this time.

7. roozterdvx

hello...manufacturers instructions...

do you think Wilwood specifies if for no reason?
    would they include drilled hardware, (more expensive), for shits and giggles?

8. 2FAST4U2C

safety wire and loctite !

9. rare bird

never wired them, never had a problem (touch wood) It won't help if a bolt breaks either. most other manufacturers do not use it either like Aerospace components, Baer etc.