1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Need help with Team Z instant center and rear suspension tuning

Discussion in 'Suspension, Chassis and Tire Tech' started by Streetcarthings, Sep 22, 2019.

1. Streetcarthings

Hey I was hoping to get some help from anyone that has successfully made a stock geometry foxbody mustang rear suspension work.

I bought Team Z’s lightweight 9 in with adjustable upper and lower instant center holes, upper and lower control arms, anti roll, and running double valving strange Coilovers.

The Car is low but not that low but I can’t get any seemingly reasonable instant center numbers.

Untested on a prepped track but I have made a couple hits on an un prepped surface and it acts very strange.

I can elaborate and have instant center measurements for anyone willing to help.

Thank you

2. Mike21

You didn’t really say what was going on or give any background info.

3. Streetcarthings

Never heard anything so I wasn’t gonna waste a bunch of time with a long explanation.

I’ve made a bunch of changes to the car since I posted that.

So on a bias slick on non prepped asphalt type surfaces do you want to run squat or anti squat?

I’ve seen arguments both ways.

I’m running Hoosier 18155 28x10.5 stiff sidewall slicks.

Powerglide and 3.50 gear

On wastegate spring, about 6psi the car only makes a little over 400hp.

Yet letting off the T brake on the gate spring It Spins right off the hit, no matter how little power I put to it.

So the odd thing is, that if you try to do a burnout by just flooring it with the line lock on, it lugs the motor down and starts turning the tire slowly and then gets faster. Basically Acting like it has a ton of bite (as As my buddy says, trying to dig to China) but then won’t launch worth a crap.

I’ve since forgotten my instant center numbers however I did get a 4 link calculator and have put all my info into it.

I’ve had no chassis side instant center adjustability but I think I’m gonna buy a set of team z torque boxes.

I’ve tried messing with shock settings, tire pressure, and 2 step rpm. Nothing seems to make a difference.

I will admit I’ve never made a 4 link bar change, but only because I never could get anyone to help give a direction on where to go.

It’s a mostly full dress street car so it’s kinda heavy, especially on the nose.

3301 race weight

1,771 on the nose, 53.65%

Running 12-150 springs up front and 12-110 outback.

I’m about 130% anti squat right now.

4. Mike21

I’m a little more basic and u gave me a lot of info, so bear w me. Your on a slick, and trying to race no prep so… you are looking for wheel speed. You just need to control it. What do ur current bars look like?

Streetcarthings likes this.
  5. Streetcarthings

This is where my bars have been since I put the rearend together and currently still are.

the little bullseyes are instant center points I have available in my current configuration

662135EE-98B8-45F9-A4E4-6C4531E3C057.jpeg #ad

6. Mike21

Try moving the lower bar up to the top hole in the back. Check to make sure ur pinion angle is right. I would pull all my shocks and struts and make sure they are all good and set them to what ever the manufacturer recommends for what u r doing. I’m assuming u have stock planetaries in the trans so ur slr is like 6.5 so ur in the field there. I like to run a heavier spring in the front then what u have. Also check ur antiroll bar and make sure that it is not bound and that when the car leaves it doesn’t hit itself and create a bind. Your antiroll bar should be neutral w driver in the car.
    If all that seems good start looking at ur converter. We tried 3 or 4 converters and rear gear changes to be able to really get our car to leave w no prep.

Disney Lincoln likes this.