1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Turbo Chattering

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Bad Medicine Racing, Aug 5, 2012.

1. Bad Medicine Racing

Well guys, I changed from a GM 245mm converter to a 9.5" Nissan that locks HARD. It was in a car with 140 more cubes and a couple hundred more hp, but he felt it was too loose in his setup. Anyway on to the chatter.

When I make the 1-2 shift it works fine, and comes on like gang busters. But on the 2-3 shift the turbo starts chattering and the boost gauge goes ape crazy. It recovers from it after a second but it still slows it down. When its chattering the wb shows lean. So I jetted it up and now when it chatters the wb shows 11.5-11.7 and after it recovers it goes back down to 10.0. It was only dropping around 200-300 rpm with the other converter and this one drops 1000-1200. I gapped the plugs down to 0.015" with no change. I have tried holding 2nd gear longer and it still does it. Anyone have any ideas?

2. Hahns5.2

Compressor surge?

3. Bad Medicine Racing

That's what we are thinking, but what is the solution?

4. TTF/Ken Staff Member

Hard to know 100% without hearing it but I'd also go with compressor surge as the issue. If you don't have the means to easily adjust the lockup ramp rate (so load doesn't change as suddenly) take a look towards BOV adjustment as a possible fix (make sure the BOV isn't defective too).

Sound a little like this?

My diesel was doing this when I had it really boosted and tuned the lockup rate on the 2-3 shift really damn hard. In my case backing off on the ramp rate was the easiest route since it was a software change.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2017
  5. BreakDancer

I thought compressor surge was only an issue when the throttle is closed? Since its an automatic I'm guessing you are not letting off between shifts. Could you be over spinning the turbo from the exhaust side? IE: need more wastegate?

6. Mnlx

If you look at a compressor map, and the lb's per min for your engine at a given pressure ratio is located to the left of the surge line, you may have surge. Basically means compressor is too large at that rpm, and pressure ratio. I had a 7.3 Powerstroke, with a programmer, and a stock turbo that would surge on 2-3 shift.

This is not accurate, but something like this.....

graph.php.jpg #ad

7. Bad Medicine Racing

Yep that's pretty much what it sounds like. It has a turbonetics Godzilla bov that is working correctly BUT I have the adjustment ran down as tight as it will go.

8. Bad Medicine Racing

I backed off the bov. Took it for a spin and it still did it, but when I turned in the driveway the engine stalled. Popped the cap off and the screw holding my mechanical advance locked was gone AGAIN. That will be getting welded when I bring my welder back home. Anyway I put the boost up on kill and it pulled it even with a 10.0 afr, so I think the timing was bouncing around causing the problem.