1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Will it spool it?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Mnlx, Apr 17, 2020.

1. Mnlx

Wanting to build something different for a 1952 Plymouth I have, I've decided to build a 4.2 Atlas (Trailblazer). I have a S475 T6 1.10 83mm turbine left over from another project that i've thought about using. Match Bot, and hp/tq numbers say it should work, but it definitely seems like a stretch. What do you guys think? It will be a street car with a th400, 3000ish converter with a 3.73 gear and 28-29" tire. Engine rated at 291hp@6000, and 275 ft lbs at 4800, but it has a super flat torque curve. Stock trailblazer 4x4 rear wheel dyno info below. dyno 2.jpg #ad

2. Mnlx

Last edited: Apr 17, 2020
  3. Mnlx

4. B E N

You need to match the engine VE to the dyno chart you have, its a 200hp engine and I think your intuition about that turbo being too large is correct. Once you do that the turbo looks like not a very good match. Lot of time left of the surge line. How much boost are you planning on running on this?

https://www.borgwarner.com/go/YWO369

S361 looks like a great match, which is more what I would have expected, check that out.

5. Mnlx

I believe my ve's are close. That was a rear wheel dyno, through an 4x4 on demand t case. It's only 256 cid factory rated at 275 ft lbs, and 291 hp, that's got to put it at 100+% in places. As a note, the Match Bot defaults are higher than the ve's I have entered, I did some math and lowered them a bit in places.

6. B E N

OhI misunderstood, I thought that was an engine dyno. I'll be interested to see how this turns out, I have no doubt you can make it run.

7. Mnlx

I sure hope so. The more I played around on Match Bot, the more certain I was that it's feasible. The hp/tq numbers support it, and I actually found someone with a 7875 on the older less hp rated engine. Just to be sure though, (and give me more options) I ordered the T4 .90 turbine housing, and have started on a divided log to go with the twin scroll housing. It's something different, and the S475 will definitely give it the awe factor if nothing else.

8. westcoastwrenchin

I think it is not going to be a whole lot of fun as to me an s475 on a stock lq4 feels laggy, cant imagine it on something that small. With that being said that is still a very desirable turbo and surely the correct size t4 housing, so easy to sell and replace, so what the hell, why not! I think the 7875 would be a lot more fun

9. Mnlx

This is the 83mm turbine wheel version, so the wheel sizes are actually smaller than a 7875. Match Bot is showing 10 psi at 3000-3500 rpm, and it'll have a 3000-3200ish converter. This little motor makes nearly the same hp as an early LQ4.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
  10. westcoastwrenchin

Fair enough! It is always interesting to do a build which is way different from the norm, sounds like you've done your homework and will get good results, keep us posted