1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Will an oil cooler help my water temp problem....I searched believe me!

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by cherrybombta, Jun 24, 2008.

1. cherrybombta

I found a couple threads that said different things. One said an oil cooler will help water temp/overheating issues and one said it won't. I ordered a big one with a fan on it and I am running -8 lines to and from it. I can't see how it would not help water temp. With such hot oil going into the motor after being pumped out of the turbo one would think it would keep the motor cooler.

If it doesn't help I'm stumped. AND have no idea how people keep turbo cars cool on the street???????????? I have a big aluminum rad, big fan electric water pump and I have the headers wrapped and a turbo blanket. The thing still gets 200 plus on the street with the hood on. Especially when I am sitting in traffic and start from a dead stop that is when the temp just climbs rapidly.

If this oil cooler doesn't help then I'll be pissed off. I can't see how people with big turbos street cruise their cars without overheating issues. Everyone I know with a turbo on a v8 has the same problem. I tried to design my new set up to decrease heat and it seems to not be working.AAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGG! My car is not a trailor queen PLEASE HELP!

2. The Notch

You should not have cooling problems on the street, if its getting hot when your not moving and then cooling off when your moving, you need a better fan set-up or need to redesign the one you have. i used to have the same ploblem as you. What i did was get 2 lt1 camero fans and made a sheet metal shroud that fits the fans about 1 inch off the radiator and shrouded them in so all sides are covered and have never had 1 overheating issue since, my dfi controls the fans to come on at 185 and go off at 175 and it stays right their moving or not. What kind of fan you running?

3. cherrybombta

I have a vintage air electric fan. Is is mounted infront of the rad and pushes air through the rad. I have no room for a rad between the turbo and the rad!

4. The Notch

do you know how much cfm your single fan moves, maybe put some thought into changing your pusher set-up, have never had any luck at all with a pusher style cooling fan, especially while the car is moving!

5. botietr

You need a puller fan.pushers aren't too efficient.pushers block some of the air before it gets to the radiator.pullers drag the air through the core better.can you move your radiator forward any to make room for a puller and a full shroud?

6. Turbo6Notch

sounds like you need a better fan. what is the CFM of the fan you have now?

7. cherrybombta

I'm looking at getting another fan, but does anyone think that the oil cooler will help at all. Drove the car last again and it stayed under 170 but that was with no hood and not stop and go traffic. The reason I think the oil cooler will help is because the car doesn't heat up at idle but heats up right after I start moving after I have been idling and the oil pressure comes up when the hot oil from the turbo is pushed into the motor.

8. GTTURBO88

If your having overheating issues and you don't have a Taurus/Lincoln fan, then you haven't fixed the problem. I had problems like you and I tried EVERYTHING convinced all along that my problem must be something else. Get a fan, set it up as a puller, and you'll have a street car again. Good luck.

9. The Notch

+ 1