1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

will a fox body 302 on3 kit work with a 351?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by justincat, Nov 27, 2015.

1. justincat

I just bought an on3 blow threw carb kit off a running 302 fox. I got on on3s website and noticed they had a separate kit for a 351 swapped fox. what is the difference in the two kits? anyone ever put the 302 kit on a 351?

2. Hemann

The cross over pipe is going to be different. The distance between the exhaust ports is going to be different from the 302 to the 351.

3. justincat

ok thanks, I guess I can just call and get the few parts that I need. They guy I was talking to keep saying small block ford and it never even crossed my mind about the 351 being little bigger etc

4. Hemann

I have heard of people cutting the crossover pipe and fitting in a small section of pipe in to make it work. Would be pretty easy to do.

5. justincat

ok, I emailed on3 and asked them also, so will see how that goes. I guess ill just start bolting it up and figure it out as I go. Do you think I will need new headers for the exhaust ports being different, or is it enough to matter? thanks for your help, I have always been a nitrous man, but im learning this turbo thing as fast as I can

6. Mnlx

Ports should be universal as long as its the correct pattern (inline vs spread). As long as the headers locate the turbo in a usable spot, the crossover should be easy to correct. I would think they would build the headers the same for the 302, and 351, but only one way to find out for sure.

7. justincat

I hear ya, Im fixing to get out there for a couple hours and if I get that far I will just mock the headers and turbo up and see. I guess new headers would be about the biggest thing I have to worry about

8. justincat

I think im just going to start a build thread. That way I can learn from you guys, and maybe help others out along the way and when I get done

9. bunso

I know its the opposite of what your asking but I am in the process right now of installing a 351 kit on a 302. The only difference I found is that (as already mentioned) the crossover pipe will be a different length and the downpipe for a 351 kit is 3.5" where the 302 kit is a 3". Other than those two variables everything else seems to work. Right now I'm havin issues finding an alternator to fit. My large 3g alternator hits the turbo and water outlet. The stock alternator will just barely fit but I don't want to use it. I have a small case 3g alternator from a 2003 Taurus 3.0 coming this week and hopefully it will fit.

10. justincat

yea, I hope the alternator works out for you, I just started and haven't got that far yet. It would be nice if we could just swap cross over pipes, but if its just an easy cut and weld I guess it wouldn't be worth it. I started a build thread last night under 88 mustang used on3 turbo(first timer) if you want to check it out every once in awhile, thanks

11. bunso

Yeah if I hadn't already chopped mine and made it fit I certainly would have swapped. You will find the 302 and 351 kits are very similar and you will make it work fairly easy. I remember making a post very similar to yours on the corral forum and all the "keyboard mechanics" were saying the kits are completely different and it would be a nightmare to make it work but they were clearly talkin out of their asses

12. justincat

I hear that. The header gasket matched perfect, and i got to help pull the turbo off another fox so most of the thinking was already done to fit my car and i got to take pics of everything along the way

13. bunso

Cool. Well you are in the right place for Turbo help. This place is full of knowledge!

14. justincat

Awsome!

15. jaywill

any updates ???

16. justincat

The 302 kit fit fine on my 351. The cross over pipe has a flex joint in it thst makes it fit no problem. Im not sure if the older on 3 kit has the flex joint in it or not but mine fit perfect with just minor cutting for the downpipe to fit

17. jaywill

thats what i needed to hear !

- - - Updated - - -

u have any pics ?

18. justincat

Sure, ill get you one this eve. i got a build thread also with all the steps

19. justincat

Sure, ill get you one this eve. Click on my profile and look at my old post till u find the 0n3 turbo install. It should be all there

20. jaywill

ok thanks