1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Evac question. Better to have one side vented and one under vac?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Forcefed86, Apr 29, 2013.

1. Forcefed86

I've installed an exhaust evac kit. Currently I just have the driverside valve cover plumbed to it. The passenger side has no vent.

A friend suggested that I put a breather on the pass. side as well for a fresh air supply? That way it will be easier to pull "good air" in and displace the "bad air". Does that make any sense? I thought you'd want the system almost sealed so it pulled a strong vac on the case itself.

Thanks

2. 94sleeperstang

I would like to know the answer to your question. I just installed a evac kit that uses exhast velocity to pull vacume out through both valve covers and no vent. I've just read that you want to pull between 10-14psi of vacume to be optimal.

3. slowboat

You run a check valve/vent that you can adjust to open at given vac # in one of the valve covers. Put a vac guage on and see where your at and adjust accordingly. System/crank case should to be sealed to pull vac. Lots of info here on this stuff already.

4. Forcefed86

Thats for vac pumps that can pull to much vacuum. The exhaust evac kit (esp. when using only 1) isn't going to pull enough vacuum that you need to regulate it down... from what I've read anyway. Just wondering if it's beneficial to supply "fresh" air on this type of kit or not.

5. slowboat

If it's set up right you might find it pulls more vac than you think.

edit: You looking for actual vacuum in the crank case or just vent the gases/blowby ? If venting only then I'd run the open breather in the other cover.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
  6. jaredsamurai

hey forcefed86 and 94sleeperstang which way are you angling the nipple into the exhaust? I've seen it done two ways
    1) the slash cut end of the nipple is parallel to exhaust flow
    2) the slash cut end is perpendicular

I'm trying to assist with oil drain issues from the turbo so I'm running mine sealed

Evacuator.jpe #ad

slashcutcopy.jpe #ad

7. 94sleeperstang

What do you mean your running yours sealed? As in no vent or evac? My evac is set up like the all black and white pic. In fact those were the exact directions/pics that came with my evac kit. Personally I don't think it matters which way you put the slash as long as it angled with the flow of the exhast it shoul pull vaccum. I believe a strait through type muffler such as dynomax ultra flow like I have or magnaflow or no muffler would work better than a chambered muffler. I have 2 evac valves, 1 for each valve cover to a single 3.5'' then split into dual 3''. It pulls pretty good vaccum at idle.

8. jaredsamurai

Mine's a 4 banger so it only has one breather and yes I mean sealed so that it pulls a vac on the crank case and there is no venting anywhere else, just to the exhaust. What kind of vac does yours pull, have you put a gauge on it?

9. 94sleeperstang

10. jaredsamurai

I think you mean 10-14 in. hg. aka inches of mercury.

11. 94sleeperstang

Yes :)

12. Forcefed86

It def. makes a difference which way you install the angle. The first image (red) is incorrect.

13. stangman9897

^^ correct the nipple should be turned down in the air flow not up like in that pic.

14. TDmkr496

So should the evac pipe be welded in after the turbo?

15. 94sleeperstang

Yes after the turbo in the down pipe. I've seen guys run a hose pre turbo on the cold side but I would imagine that would throw the turbo slightly out of balance and dirty up everything in the intake path if you got any oil sucked out. Most factory naturally aspirated cars have a hose that runs from the valve cover to the intake pipe.

16. Rickracer

I have a question kinda in that same vein. My down pipes exit through the fenders above/behind the front tires, and they are only 21" long from the turbo to the end on the driver's side, and 24" on the passenger side. I'm thinking of putting the evac nipples just past the 90°, coming out of the turbos, right where the pipe straightens out. Given that, where would be the best spot to put the bung for the wideband?? I plan to put it on the pass. side mostly to keep the wiring short, (that's where my MSD 6530 is mounted inside), and because that D/P is the longest. Should it be before, or after the evac nipple? Or should I put the evac nipples closer to the ends of the D/Ps. :confused:

17. Forcefed86

I put mine right after the 90 bend. Hard ot believe it works. Even pulls vac at 750rpm.

[​IMG]#ad

18. Rickracer

I'd love to put them both there, but everything I've seen/read says the WBO2 should be at least 12"~18" from the turbo and I'm afraid the oil vapor would foul up my sensor..... :confused:

Here's the layout:
    [​IMG]#ad

Last edited: May 1, 2013
  19. blown385

If you don't cap the other valve cover , it will want to pull oil out . At least my electric pump does . Plus , how is it going to pull a vacuum if its vented ?

20. jaredsamurai

Good point blown