1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

wideband sensor-how do you know it is correct

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by actmobmar, Oct 18, 2014.

1. actmobmar

i'm used to doing plug readings, now trying to get used to using the wideband and having a hard trusting it. i have an innovative motorsports im1 wideband, and have calibrated it. is there any way to be sure it is correct?

2. Mnlx

A wideband is just a tuning tool, and should be used with plug readings (at least initially). Snowmobiles are popular here, and egt gauges are the same, some go completely by egts, and often burn them down.... The widebands seem to have less variables than egts though. (at least on 2 strokes)

3. H.P.Ranch

Heres my plugs with 1357-2468, Number 1 was cracked ringland. 6 looks like it needs coil or wire replaced. IMG_2565.jpg #ad

IMG_2565.jpg #ad

4. turbostang500

I am with Mnlx, the wbO2 is just a tool. The ONLY thing easliy accessable that is actually inside the burn chamber is the plug. All tuning tools should be verified by looking at the plug for the similar results.
    Also remember, most wb placements are gathering an average exhaust stream. You might have one cyl that is much leaner than the others. That cyl wont be reflected by a wb sensor placed in the downpipe.

5. actmobmar

Let me ask this, if you shut the engine down at wot don't you risk damaging the turbos due to no oil?

6. turbostang500

Yes. Just shut it down as soon as it is possible and safe. The sooner the better but dont ruin the turbo bearings/shaft in the process.

7. 65ShelbyClone

With EFI systems there is overrun fuel cut that shuts off the injectors during engine braking to save fuel. That means the throttle can be chopped and the plug readings preserved for at least a handful of seconds while the engine is still pumping oil.