1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Someone explain this video for me..................................

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Air Supply, Aug 8, 2008.

1. Air Supply

&NR=1[/url]

Someone explain how he's staging up.........

Is he inching the car up on the brake, to bring the car up on the converter? then when it stops, is that him hitting the brakes? or is that him hitting the transbrake?

2. Bullseye Tuning

it's called anti lag. It basically pulls the timing out of the motor when you start to stage the car. You can rig a button to trigger your ecu to do a staged retard and also set a rev limit for staging the car. On some EMS systems you can have 2 stages of rpm and 2 stages of rev limit. This way you have a more controlled way of bring ing the car in.

3. Air Supply

so basically a two step, that's how us rotary guys build boost.............................. so those guys are running two steps on their auto's? the reason I ask, is because I'm in the process of doing a auto .................. and all the rotaries that I've seen with autos have a hard time getting the car up on the converter fast, they usually gotta wait a few seconds..............

here is a example

4. seirra

on a automatic you add timing to build boost on the line and use a 2 or 3 step depending on turbo size and engine cubic inches

5. Bullseye Tuning

When the turbos are real big adding timing won't work, you have to pull the timimng like you would on a stick to build boost. The difference is to not yank all the timing out at one time. You have to let the car start to get up on the convertor before yanking a good deal of timing.

Here is a car I have been helping the last 2 years.

It has helped me learn a lot about getting a car up on the pipe using a big turbo. That is a 4 cylinder that the turbo is configured for a 500 ci motor.

6. xr8tt

Yep 2 step and lag are two things.. Both together can work..
    That clip I suspect is a test and tune day?? Where vehicle E/T is measured when it crosses the line..
    In bracket racing, he would have to be quicker on the tree...
    That clip is in Sydney Australia.. Wsid . Western Sydney international dragway...

7. Air Supply

Well, we rotary guys............ don't use a 2 step without pulling alot of timing. That's the only way of getting them to work :)

We just wire a relay to shut off out trailing coils while the 2 step is engaged.

8. ash

yes, as it's coming forward, its building boost.... another way to do it, is put a 3 step in the system and use the brake light swith to trigger the 3 step... just adds unburnt fuel into exhaust manifold to help spool the turbo.

when the car stops... he will push the trans break button to lock the trans , then mash the throttle, build boost, the engine missing is at full 2 step rpm..

release the trans button... and away..

many different ways to stage.. no 1 right way, only what works for you..

cheers
    ash

9. stangboy86

wow i was not aware of so many procedures for staging.
    thread hi jack: what is the best method for staging in a stick car, besides just using a two-step?
    i guess how you stage the car could make a big difference in weather you like the stick shift or automatic better.

10. Will Evers

Thats me! Haha that when when I had stock brakes and no 3 step.

Now, I have someone pull me up 6" inches before the first beam. Lock the foot brake, floor the gas while holding a button for the 3 step. (The 3 step is set just before the back wheels wanna turn) Then I back off of the foot brake a little, let it roll into the beams, hit the transbrake (which overrides the foot brake rev limiter and activates its own), let the foot brake go, wait for the light and let go.

This is a better vid. Although it doesnt hook on this pass, you can see the relationship between the brake lights and the tree.

I do not use an anti-lag, just the 2 and 3 step.

&feature=related[/url]

This is good because you can hear the 2 and 3 step at different times. This was my first pass with my new turbo and brakes so forgive the staging. I needed to see what they would hold on the starting line.

11. Air Supply

Thanks, do most guys do this because of the time it takes the car to get up on the converter? Slow converters? That's the problem I need help with.......... having no torque sucks

12. Bullseye Tuning

Yes getting your staging 2 step working like he described is the best method for getting up on the pipe quickly. I would not recommend getting your trans to hot while testing it.

13. Will Evers

Yea, the problem is that we are getting convertors for 1500hp engines, and making 200hp at 2500 rpm. I need to bang it off the chip mashing the foot brake to get it hot enough to make boost down low so I gan leave where I want to. You see people with bigger motors kinda just going without playing tricks. They make enough power on motor to get the thing into its powerband very quickly using airflow instead of heat.

14. Don Bailey

TONS OF REALLY BAD INFO IN THIS THREAD!

15. 79Sleeper

Sure have been doing alot of beating around the bush lately....

Troy

16. Air Supply

Care to elaborate?

17. Bullseye Tuning

How about your .02 Don? Please enlighten us. I am always looking to learn new tricks.

18. Will Evers

I do the best I can.

19. Don Bailey

You have a PM.

20. Drlee50

Nitrous FTW!!!!! :D