1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wideband O2 Sensor Placement

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by boostedfoxbody, May 2, 2003.

1. boostedfoxbody

I read some guys mount the WB-O2 sensor before the turbo, and others on the downpipe. Which is best?

Thanks.

2. TwinTrouble

the word on the street is that is shoud be place after the turbo, or on the downpipe, unless your WB contoller has a pressure compensation feature. The way i undestand it, the wide band will not read correctlly when it is under pressure. I remember someone on the board did a test a while ago. He ran 2 Wb's, one before the turbo and one after. The WB before the turbine was reading incorrectly under boost if i remember right.

good luck and hope that helps,
    Shaun

3. boostedfoxbody

Thanks, that's what I wanted to hear!

4. NeverEnuff

Would anyone happen to have any of this infomation about the different readings he got. I currently have my W/B in BEFORE my turbo and have been told to move it to after. My readings are kind of sparatic but not too bad...but my dyno wideband is reading a good half point leaner than mine. And I was tuing off of mine. Didn't know if I should move it and re-tune it. Any more info on this would be great. Thanks!

5. Enginerd

I have an X-pipe in factory location and the O2 sensor is in the merge of the "x". Seems to work good there.

Rob

6. 79Sleeper

check this chart out for the lsu4:

http://www.rbracing-rsr.com/turbo/orcadash_lsu4.jpg

Iit depends on which brand/model of wideband sensor you are using. You need to look up the data for the specific sensor you are using, some are effected more by pressure and some are effected more by heat.

Troy

7. ash

6 - 10 inchs after turbo...
    will be cooler

ash

8. xr8tt

Yep I don't like the idea of anything breaking and damaging turbo...

9. Bullseye Tuning

Make sure you mount it with an angle. It can't be mounted to where moisture can settle in it. That kills the sensors.

10. Bellman Jeff

If you mount the sensor before the turbo, it will become "overheated" and not read properly.. The same goes if it's mounted to close to the turbines exhaust in the downpipe.. It should be mount no less than 10 inches from the turbo down stream..

11. pontiac_baron

how much of an angle?
    does it matter, which way it's oriented? or preferable?

12. GOAT8U2

I prefer to put mine at the very end of the DP so it has the least chance of being overheated but still in the DP just in case you have an air leak.

Sensor should be at 3 or 9 oclock position so it doesn't build up any moisture in the pipe.

I personally don't like the look of the sensor in the DP near the turbo but that's me.

13. notched306

i had my wb and both 02's about 18 inch's down the dp and worked great