1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Knock Sensors

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by HardcoreABN, May 19, 2020.

1. HardcoreABN

I keep getting conflicting information. TT LS, 4 digit power, street car. Knock sensors, will they actually do what they are designed too or will there be too much noise for them to function properly.

2. Disney Lincoln

I've been looking into them as well. It's a bit of a can of worms. First, you have to know what to do with the information from the sensor. Some stand alone like the J&S seems to work great, but I don't know how well they work with LS ignition. Holley can use them, but you have to know how to set them up properly and then how the Holley will use that information. Then, some people will say if you're not out trying to set the world on fire, just make your tuneup safe enough so that you're not near the edge of detonation... easier said than done on a 1K+hp small cube turbo motor.

3. tbird

Top Tier tuners always say , it will loose torque and power before it detonates.
    Ive seen this to be true in plugs reads and time slips and the track.
    Also watched some of the new zeelander/aussies that swear by knock sensors , in a video doing steady state pulls on a chassis dyno adding timing while watching torque and hp. They where comparing gasoline to e85 and various load ranges. Gasoline would reach peak torque and timing about 3-4 deg. before it detonated. E85 would reach peak torque and timing but they could keep adding timing and peak torque would fall until about 6-8 deg past where if finally detonated.
    This was knock sensors with known setting for specific engine.

So this has always lead me they way of watching plugs and time slips, or observed power when on dyno.