1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Wideband and O2 Sensor P59

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by BluegrassGarage, May 12, 2020.

1. BluegrassGarage

I'm trying to figure out all I need for tuning before I take it to get professionally tuned. I'm currently trying to get my truck to start after the turbo build just to get it running before taking it to be tuned but I think I need to figure out my wideband, O2 setup, and 3Bar tuned in before it'll run.

2003 Silverado 1500 5.3/2WD 4L80E w/ 3600 stall/S475/850cc/Walbro 450 build.

What wideband is easy to install and use? I've seen a few recommendations but just curious to hear it from people that have built their own vehicle. I know it needs to be in the piping coming off the turbo and that's about it.

As far as O2 sensors go, do I need just one in the crossover or do I need to run one in the crossover and one in the turbo downpipe as well?

2. 91turboterror

Aem makes a good simple WB setup. All the o2s go in the DP.

3. BluegrassGarage

Thanks! I’ll look into the AEM kit, that’s the main one I’ve been hearing about and I’ve watched a few videos on it and it looks super easy to install. So on a stock ECU, I was seeing that I need one in the crossover and possibly one in the down pipe off the turbo (going to be running a fender exit) but you’re saying I need to put the O2s along with the wideband in that fender exit pipe?

4. TurboII

There are only a few aftermarket EFI systems that can use WBO2 sensors pre-turbo. The back pressure effects the sensor accuracy and only a few systems have pressure compensation to counteract this problem. If it is a single down pipe it just needs a single sensor a short distance from the turbine exit. If the down pipe is very short and the sensor is located less than 12"-18" from the exit end of the pipe you may see some erratic readings at idle and even low rpm due to reversion occurring between exhaust pulses. This is not a big deal, just be aware of it so you don't chase your tail thinking there is something wrong with the WBO2 sensor/controller. As a side note, I would suggest a WBO2 setup that can log O2, rpm and time so you have the ability to see where and when the issue is occurring. Hope this helps.