1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Please read: WELCOME TO THE NEWBIE TECH FORUM.

Discussion in 'Newbie and Basic Turbo Tech Forum' started by Trentk, Dec 14, 2006.

Topic Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trentk

This forum was created to help shelter new people from some of our grizzled site veterans who do not take kindly to rudimentary questions that have been answered many times. You can use this forum to post any question without fear of judgement or harshness from anyone. We will have knowledeable volunteers who will take the time to read and respond to all questions. You definitely can't find that just anywhere.

I should also note if you are a person who likes to learn on your own and take time to read there is a very good chance that most questions have already been answered. Please use our search feature by clicking on the green search buton. You can also read the "FAQ's, Turbo Info, and the archives" forum. And please do not forget to read the many useful tech articles that have been posted on the main page. You can view those by clicking on "knowledge base" at the top of the forum. The knowledge base even includes a very lengthy and technical "TURBO BIBLE".

theturboforums.com welcomes all people who wish to turbocharge any type of engine, including ford, chevy, mopar, imports, sandrails, lawnmowers or motorcycles. This site is lucky to be filled with an extremely large number of very knowledgeable people and turbo industry insiders. Don't forget our Carb section is one of the finest on the web and anyone who wishes to put boost through a carburetor can learn a lot there. (supercharger or turbo)
    PLEASE ENJOY YOUR STAY.

Thank you,

Trent Kendall
    www.theturboforums.com Founder

2. Lincs 84 351

To everyone posting in newbie tech!

First, I thank you for supporting this website, Theturboforums (F.K.A. turbomustangs)
    Having members like you in numbers is what allows the website owner to bring in sponsorship money
    and to keep these forums available to everyone. Please support the sponsors, too.

There are quite a few more "newbies" joining this forum since the word of this website has got around pretty well.
    I have noticed some things that I would like to address:

1) I see a lot of the same questions asked over and over and over and over again.
    Simple things like "how does a wastegate work?" can easily be answered by doing a search here,
    or even "googling it" or read about it on Wikipedia.

I know this is the newbie tech, and we welcome questions like that.....but if it is a really basic question, I guarantee it has already been answered. PLEASE do everyone a favor and do a search (here, google, wikipedia, etc. etc. ) before starting threads about really basic topics. The reason I ask that, is because the guys with really legitimate questions have their thread lost in the pages .... because all the basic questions push the good questions off into pages 2, 3, or 4 where no one sees them or answers them.

2) This is Newbie tech. This means that newbies can come here, without a clue,
    and hopefully get their question answered by someone that does have a clue.

The problem is a thing called "BAD TECH". Bad tech is the blind leading the blind.
    It is people that don't have a clue getting their questions answered by OTHER people that DON'T have a clue. This hurts everyone.

IF YOU ARE NOT SURE ABOUT HOW TO SOLVE A PROBLEM,
    DON'T ANSWER THE QUESTION WITH MORE BAD TECH!

We don't need speculators here. Don't try to get your post count up by answering threads because you think you might know the answer. Guessing is NOT good enough. If you can't speak from real knowledge or experience, don't go confusing someone else. It may be your stupidity and suggestions that get them to go blow the engine in their car because they listened to your bad advice.

3. Daddy

Noob FAQ List

This thread is for setting up and testing a New Newbie FAQ list, please don't whore up this thread. Also all feedback and corrections are welcomed, we're trying to make this easier for the new guys who come here. Thank you. :D

Noob FAQ List

Note: This list is not exhaustive, nor was it intended to be, it was developed to give answers to common questions for new people and is considered a supplement to a good thorough search and reading. Also most links will only direct you to one thread on the topic to answer the question, this does not mean it was only covered once, nor does it mean that the thread listed is the best response. If you find a better response, please let me know and I'll have the list updated. Don't be afraid to PM me some ideas or questions you would like added to the list either.

If you can't find your question here then by all means ask, this list is supposed to help people get off their feet and keep them from being overwhelmed or scared. Also if you choose to ask your question on the forums please be as descriptive in your question as you can, state as much about your combo as you can, and be respective of the other members as they're here to help you (and learn as well), if you piss them off they won't help you. One last note about posting questions, bad questions go unanswered, a real easy way to post a bad question is to not give as much information in your post as possible, we don't know you or your car so you need to help us answer your question.

Finally, welcome to one of the best technical forums on the internet, everything you need to know about turbocharging your vehicle can be found on this site. So read around and check out each section. A good tip would be to setup a favorites tab specifically for this site so when you stumble upon a good thread you can add it to your favorites tab for easy access in the future. Enjoy your stay.

Thanks,
    Mark

List updated 10-08-2013 By Ken to reflect new forum software

Elcomino restomod likes this.
  4. Daddy

5. Daddy

Noob FAQ List

General Questions

6. Daddy

7. Daddy

Noob FAQ List

Search Help

For help with the Search function on this website. If you only want to search through a certain section scroll down to the bottom of the window where it says, 'Choose a board to search in, or search all', click the little triangle and select which boards you'd like to search. That feature is a little hidden and took me some time to figure it out.

Also don't forget to check out the forum search help topic here.

8. Daddy

Noob FAQ List

Items that should be "required" in addition to the turbo kit

1. Time, Patience, and Money. All joking aside to keep a reliable running turbo car it takes time, patience, and money to not only install everything, but to keep it all working together.

2. Fuel System to support X amount of power. Most kits available today include the necessary fuel components to make it all work, if you find a kit that doesn't have these components then you'll obviously need to buy them. Make sure to buy big as it's better to have more fuel system then not enough.

3. A tune. Plan on having your car tuned ahead of time. Whether you utilize a full stand alone system (or Carb) that you may tune yourself, or want to run the stock computer and have a dyno tune is entirely up to you, but plan on having your car tuned. Now yes there are people out there driving turbocharged vehicles with no tune on them, but it's better to be safe than lucky.

4. Head Studs or Bolts. At the very least a set of ARP Head bolts should be used. As more air is being forced into the combustion chamber the cylinder pressures can get high and you're going to need to keep your heads down tight.

5. Head Gaskets. With new head bolts/studs you might as well step up to a better than stock head gasket, just keep in mind a head gasket it like a fuse, if you get one that's too good something else might let go before the head gasket.

6. PCV System. Unless your car came with a turbo from the factory you're going to have to address the PCV system as the stock setup won't keep boost out of the crankcase.

7. Suitable Chassis. Depending on your power levels you may need to upgrade the chassis of the car in order to handle the power your engine is producing, there's no need to have gobs of power and no way to use it.

8. Upgraded Driveline. The driveline in most stock vehicles is not up to the task of handling the power (torque) that can be produced with a turbo setup. Research your car and the parts on it so you know what should be upgraded.

9. Make a Plan for your car. Not only should you make a plan ahead of time, but stick to it. The quickest and easiest way to get burned out in this hobby is to not follow a plan and constantly buy parts that you don't use or are constantly replacing. Make a plan from the beginning, set a power level you want to achieve with your car, and purchase the appropriate parts that will survive at power levels slightly higher. It gets real expensive to redo things two, three, four times, etc, so buy the right parts that will support a little higher than your intended power level as you may feel the urge to "crank it up" on occasion. Also be forewarned not to go overboard either as that gets real easy. Decide right away what you want your car to become and set your plan to that, otherwise you can go overboard and end up having a fully tubbed, fully caged, twin 101mm turbo'd street car running a stock block that can only handle 500 hp and is a pain to drive on anything but the track. Make a plan and stick to it.

9. Daddy

10. furchaser

11. Mike SVOR

read the classified rules. You can't post anything in that section without a min 100 post count.

please be sure to read the rules carefully.

12. MORA

Attention Newbies - Look here!

If you want a good answer to your question:

- Use proper grammar.

- Break up big paragraphs into smaller ones.

- Analyze your post before writing it. Is it easy to understand?

- Make lists just like this one to separate problems.

If you do this, the percentage of getting a good answer is higher.

13. Mike SVOR

If you have any more useful forum ethics to add, please PM (private message) gotageta5oh by clicking on the user name to the left and then selecting 'Send this member a personal message.' at the bottom of your screen.

14. Scott02GT

Dude, post that in the actual forum, not this thread

15. ChevyD

Great section for a turbo newbie. May take me a month to read through it all lol. Great site.

16. gotageta5oh

Fixed.... But I missed your post.. :doh:

17. 99TTGT

lol
    The Witch hunters & inquisitors...

18. tony spadafino

hey guys
    i a newbee here
    from montreal canada , home of the f1 race witch is going on tomorrow
    well i have been trying to build a turbo mustang for quiet some time now , with the help or lack there of some people
    are sappose to be in the trade , with that being said , it look s like im going to have to take over , and build stuff i never did
    before , and tuning as stuff like that , i have told of this place for quiet some time , but felt i was in good hand and didn't
    think i would need a place like this for my car
    WELL I WAS WRONG
    it s seems i wil be need lot s and lots of help

well hey ever one

and hope some of my question are not to dunb

thanks

19. furchaser

Welcome ,, and all you seek is here ! ... just don't act like a jackass and mostly everybody would drive up and lend a hand if it comes down to it. :cheers:

20. MONTEGOD7SS

I have no doubt in my mind that with enough research anyone could build a badass EFI or blow through carb engine with nothing more than this website. People on here are in all ranges from cheap eBay builds to $200k Outlaw 10.5s, and everywhere in between. Wear out the greens search button with anything you could think of and odds are it has been talked about before. Good luck with your build and we look forward to helping.

Chevyluv72 likes this.