1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

timing and other concerns

Discussion in 'EFI Tuning Questions and Engine Management' started by danval, Nov 3, 2014.

1. danval

Ok, ive been trying to do some research, but havnt found exactly a setup like mine in relation to timing. Pretty close setups, so I have a general idea but rather have you experienced turbo 5.0 guys guide me. Im going to run a stock ecu, prom maf for 42# green tops, intank 250 lph walbro and main 300lph bosch. Going to run 10psi and got an msd btm with a billet magnetic distributor. First question is what should I setup my base timing at? and how many degs I should pull out per pound? Also, whats the best spark plug for my setup and gaping? Im planning on using 91 pretty much all the time and throw some octane booster whenever I go and have fun at the drift track. Ideas, comments? Thanks

2. 91turboterror

I don't know if there the best but I run autolite spark plugs in mine 2 heat ranges colder than stock. I'm at 12psi. My gap is at .24 all I have is a msd tfi coil.

3. 95MustangGT331

posted on accident

4. myturbocobra

Copper plugs, a couple ranges colder. Don't waste your money on octane booster.

5. danval

Thank you guys. And what about timing? Whats a good reference point to setup base timing? Alsi, no octane booster, so throw some race fuel in the tank?

6. TTF/Ken Staff Member

16-18 degrees as base, and move up from there. I agree about octane booster. There is a common scam in that industry.... when the bottle says "raises octane by up to 4 points" (or whatever amount), what they mean is "0.4". Additional octane isn't going to buy you an extra power unless you increase timing, frankly I'd get an E85 tune setup and run that if it were me. You can run plenty of additional timing with it, plus its cheap enough you can run it on the street.

7. Disney Lincoln

What are you tuning it with?

First things I would do is get rid of any MSD ign box or distributor. Run Crane, Accel, or about any other box. and run the stock distributor.

No need for a BTM, you can control the advance in the tune.

8. decipha

x2, the man has spoken ^^