1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

High IAT temps, need some advice

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by yellowpony, Nov 7, 2009.

1. yellowpony

I made some passes today, and datalogged them. Everything was in check, except for my IAT temps. Towards the end of the pass my temps were 176*. I also think either i lifted a head as coolant spewed out of the overflow, but no white smoke out the tailpipes. The started running hot, so i shut it down and let it cool off. After i started it back up, the coolany temp dropped back to 180 and no problems whatsoever, i havent drained the oil yet, but i will tomorrow when i pull the heads.

I will get a measurement of the intercooler tomorrow, but it appears to be a 24x12x3 with 3" in/out. I am running a 347 with afr 205 heads, and a TTi twin race kit with turbonetics 61's with .69 exh housings. There are 2.5" pipes off the outlet of the turbos into a 3" merge into the intercooler. The runs were at 20psi. Where would be the first thing to look at, intercooler? The turbo's cant be too small can they? Thanks for any input you guys can offer. The car did trap 154.94 today, which is the highest it has ever.

I am guessing that the high IAT had a cause in what happened with the headgaskets (cometics). Any advice/input is appreciated!

Anthony

2. underpsi68

Either yourintercooler is maxed out and/or your turbos are out of their range. I'm not to familiar with those turbos.

When I went to the track 2 weeks ago my AIT's were 205* after the intercooler with 18-19psi. That power level was way past the eff of my intercooler.

I also run a meth/water injection kit. I am happy to say that the meth kit lowered the AIT's another 100*. So my AIT's were 105* after the meth kit, (205* after intercooler before meth kit).

I am probably making around the same HP as your run. I trapped 149MPH in a 3450lb car @16psi. My intercooler is about the same size as yours. I would say your intercooler is to small. Install a meth kit and watchthe AIT's drop 75-100*.

3. yellowpony

So, for lack of a better way of explaining it, is the meth kit somewhat of a "bandaid." Is there a lot of tuning that needs to be done after the meth is installed?

Basically what i am asking is, is the ultimate fix going with a larger intercooler? If that is the case i have no problems doing that.

Thanks for the help man!

Anthony

4. underpsi68

If you call running meth to lower your AIT's even more after any sized intercooler and making more power in the process a "band aid" than yes. LMAO. It also keeps everything nice and clean, (carbon) lowers combustion temps, and lowers EGT's while increasing octane.

Yes you should definelity retune after installing a meth kit to get the full advantage of it. You will have to pull some fuel.

The best setup would be a larger intercooler and meth injection IMO.

I run E85 with meth injection. The meth injection WORKS!!! I wouldn't run my car without it!!!!

5. yellowpony

OK great, i will check out the ais kits, thanks!

Anthony

6. 86lxnotch

rob(ebbs03cobra) over on phillystangs has a snow kit for sale iirc.