1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

is a 76gts to small for 410w

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by turbodgumby, Nov 5, 2009.

1. turbodgumby

Question for you guys. I have a 95 Lightning with a pts kit, 76gts, 3" dp, etc. What I was wandering is... is the 76gts to small for the 410w? I am making 600rwhp at 13psi now and I know the 76 is a good turbo for a 347. Also what heads would you guys run. It is a street/strip truck

2. JZ 97 SS 1500

Yes exhaust backpressure will go through the roof once you start to push that turbo on that size motor.

3. twofast

my friend (lo fo do on this site) had a 76gts on this 408w. at 3500lbs, it ran 8.93@150 on radials. 23psi i believe. it's not a turbo i would recommend for that engine size, but it worked great on his combo.

4. svooh

For a "street" application, I think it's a great turbo... especially if you don't spin the engine RPM to the moon! Have you tried to turn up the wick? If it runs into a wall somewhere, you can probably put money on it being backpressure.

5. BlackMagic94

Jose, what about a T76 Ptrim with a .96 a/r on a 351W?

6. svooh

I'm not Jose, but I'll answer. :D

I would (and frequently do) use the Qtrim (or GTQ) on 351 setups...Even used it up to a 392 on a streetcar.

I try to limit the P-trim to a 331 or at most a 347. :2thumbs:

7. BlackMagic94

Spool time on 351W with Q trim and power output potential?

8. 10secgoal

Buddies lightning (5.4) make s680 rwhp on a GTS wheel.

9. JZ 97 SS 1500

Way small for my comfort level. F-1 S-trim if you want fast spool up. If you want more go with the GTS turbine.

On a 370, a TC78 with F-1 turbine made 811rwhp. Baker Engineering built the setup and we provided them with the turbo parts. This was on a TRUCK as well. P-trim and Q-trim are straight cut design and not curve pitch impeller. They work but flow a good deal less. This is the reason why the F-1 and GTS turbines have replaced them. Also their is the F-1 P-trim now as well. 20% more flow, no effect on lag.

10. Andy Dorsett

You didn't list what heads cam and intake you have but with only 600rwHp @13psi I would be surprised if you were spinning the engine much faster than 5000rpm. If this is the case a 76GTS is plenty. Furthurmore if you simply switch the shortblock and keep the same top end stuff the engine will not make much more power. It will make slightly more power at a lower engine speed than previous. Tell us more about the setup now and what it will be.

11. BlackMagic94

Sorry I meant Q trim not P

12. JZ 97 SS 1500

Yeah a Q-trim will work on a 351. If you can hold out though, save a few more greens and spring for a F-1 or GTS turbine. They really are hard to beat for the size and spool up.

13. BlackMagic94

Not me for a friend. I told him to get a GTS as well.

14. turbodgumby

Run down on the present combo is.
    Stock 95 351w shortblock
    Afr185s, ferra valves, comp springs, 1.6 RR.
    Tfs"R" intake w/1" spacer 75mm tb.
    Cam Motion hydraulic roller.
    Pts turbo kit, 3" dp, 3" coldside piping, 31x12x4 i/c.
    PI 3000 stall triple disc for my setup.
    PMAS blow thru with 60# inj.

Next set-up will start as follows.
    410w, bigger heads( to be determined by recommendation), cam( motor has solid roller in it but may set it aside and get me a new hyd. Roller made for street use.) Intake I am thinking about changing to an efi spyder intake instead of the tfs intake. Same converter and trans till I can get a c6 or th400 built.

15. turbodgumby

And I shift at 5500 right now being that's where power starts to fall off and its a stock sb with hyp. Pistons but its stock 8.8/1 CR. I drive the truck everyday right now but am gonna take down to a weekend warrior with new motor! I may be able to get me a pt47-88 t4 flanged if its still available or I can put a t6 flange in place of my t4 flange if you guys think that would be much better. But remember I am not looking for a dyno number. My truck now only makes 600rwhp but it makes it from 2700 to 5500 on pump gas thru a stock E4OD od trans. I want usuable power mainly! The truck weighs 4800lbs so its not a light weight race car by any means! Thanks for the input guys! I don't mind loosing a peek number to keep the bottom end grunt I need to get this pig moving!

16. Andy Dorsett

Sounds like you will need a T6 based turbo. I would not switch from a long runner to a spyder if low end is important.

17. Will Evers

Didnt I get ripped on another site for this same topic? As the world turns I guess.

People dont realize that after air EXPLODES, it takes up a hell of a lot more room.

18. ash

like what the other guys asked,
    what max rpm ?

19. turbodgumby

rpm is going to be based on where it stops making power. right now I shift at 5500. I dont know where I will shift the 410 at as I dont have it in there yet and haven't settled on a hyd. roller or solid roller camshaft as of yet