1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

MPT70 on a 4.3L- to big?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by 02vortec, Nov 9, 2006.

1. 02vortec

hey guys im looking to go to a bigger turbocharger- i have been looking into a MPT70-

my set-up is a rearmount 4.3L with a TH400 and transbrake. (transmission will come with the turbo) i only rev out to about 5700rpm- do you guys think the mpt70 is a little big to give me a usable power band? plan on around 12psi for it or 550whp

i want a turbo that will not run out of breath up top like the turbo i have now. i like it cause it will give me an option to upgrade to more power if i want. ---- i think from a dig i will be okay on the Tbrake-

but how do you guy think it will be from a roll?- to much lag?
    any other ideas on a good turbo size?

2. turbotater

i am not sure you'll be near 500+ hp @12 psi
    I have typhoon with a 4.3 and I have 58 mm on it now
    and i am at 16 psi and i am not near 500 hp and i have
    had it at 22 psi and i am not out of turbo it might be
    getting close to 450 at that point. mine is a "P" trim
    exhaust wheel with a .81 housing and i have no problem on spool up

3. stanggod

Depends on the hotside. On a rearmount you might have a lot of lag if the hotside is too big.

4. 02vortec

im sorry dont know why i said 12psi- was talking to my buddy about the turbo fox we are building- i plan on running about 20psi- are you running a PTE turbo? i want around 500whp on this- i know its a balanceshaft but im sending the block out to be cryo'd :D- what kinda WHP are you @ on 22psi- i just dont want boost to fall off in the upper rpms- i plan on reving to around 5700 to 5800rpm on a custom grind 270ah camshaft.

also the turbo isnt that far back- its just under the passenger seat-

5. Explorer5.0

I dont understand how the turbo you have isnt big enough already, althougn I'll be happy to buy it when you take it off :) .

That exact turbo(TO4E 60-1, .81A/R) on my friends STS LS1 Camaro put over 500hp to the ground at 8psi. And on top of this, they do it with a 38mm wastegate proving the turbo isnt too small. If it were too small, there would probably be mucho boost creep with an 5.7liter and 38mm wastegate.

6. 02vortec

i dont have a .81 a/r- something smaller i think its only a .71 a/r- i wanna get a .81 if i stay with this turbo-

7. turbotater

my cam is .510 lift [email protected] 111 ls
    i don't know what power ti has on high boost because
    my tuneup is off . but I guess @22 once tuned right
    it will be near 425 ish

8. 02vortec

@ the wheels?

im going with a custom grind 270ah camshaft prolly one of the next things i will do with ls1/ls6 valvesprings. thats just a ton of boost on a 6cyl only to make 425whp.... but is that All wheel hp if so i would have a bit more power but alot less traction... i would like to run a bigger turbo so i dont have to run that much boost but if your getting good spool out of your 58mm and its not dropping off boost in the higher rpm then i guess its okay.

9. Boosted Thrills

a MP t70 will be to the left of the surge line during spoolup from what im seeing.

i wanted a t70 for my 4.3L too but i went with a 60mm turbo instead, i figure it will give much better response

do you have a stock cam? if so switch that out first that will make a huge improvement

10. 02vortec

my next mods are a cam / stall and maftpro ----------

how much do you think i could gain from a custom grind based on a 270ah-

im running a t3/t04e 60trim- ported/clipped/balanced- do you think it will be fine to 450whp?

im on s10forum- i havent seen you on there in a while boosted thrills-----

11. twinturboGT

What turbine wheel and housing? I had T3/T67's with P-trim turbine wheels and .82 A/R housings. Flowed tons more air than Stage 3 wheels in .48 A/R housings, there's a lot of disparity between exhaust wheels and that can have a huge effect on power output.