1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Who runs an oil catch can?

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by linkmustang, Jan 22, 2006.

1. linkmustang

Who runs an oil catch can?

2. Brn N Rubr

Me! Here is my setup (probably would have been easier to take a picture, oh well). I have some 90* valve cover elbows where the breathers should be. The little canister is something we made. Exhaust pipe for the main body. Some flat plate on top and bottom. A 5/8 fitting at the bottom of that. A grommet at the top. And a valve cover breather on top of that. Putting it in front of the turbo makes sure there is not boost put into the system. Seems to work quite well. Haven't spit out any intake gaskets. With the hoses coming from the valve covers going to the bottom of the can, any oil that is sucked up into the top is stopped by the filter in the breather and then falls back down to the bottom of the can. Very minimal oil on the compressor.

3. Dedpedal

Just installed my Morroso catch can yesterday so no results to report yet. I just took a line off a barbed fitting in one valve cover to the side of the can. The can has a filter on top. I can drain the oil out thu the sheetmetal of the fender support. Ill post pics asap.I may need to run a line from the other cover, but time will tell.

4. linkmustang

should i run one on my 92 5.p twin turbo

5. Ryan H

Sure, why not? A catch can or foam element is always a good idea for a breather system. It has been proven that spraying mist onto the turbine blades can cause the blades to erode. Its not very far fetched to imagine oil having the same effect! That being said, I run one on my 2.3L.

6. mystang

i just run 2 oil water seperators from my pcv they catch oil and condensation

7. Legendary

I'll use this thread to ask my stupid question.

What does a catch can actually work and will I need one for my street car once I put the turbo on it? It will have a sc61 and I"m aiming for 450 rwhp. Stock block with gt40 irons.

8. Inda10s

A catch can is for people who have problems with oil coming out of the breathers, pcv issues, or race their car and the NHRA doesnt mandate breathers on the VCs. The can catched any oil that is being pushed out of the motor via the valve covers and stores it unitl emptied. Once its in the catch can, it doesnt go back in, so keep your eye on how full it gets.

9. Legendary

Thanks for the info. I pretty much won't know if I need one until I put the turbo on?

10. Inda10s

11. mystang

also 99+ v6 mustangs have "overactive" pcv systems, as if you look in the upper intake after about 30,000 have a nice thick sludge in your upper intake, that is the main reason why i did it