1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Who runs a plastic fuel cell? Questions.

Discussion in 'Non-Turbo Tech questions' started by rtz, Jun 25, 2007.

1. rtz

I was thinking of mounting one in the spare tire well. Looks like 4 possible sizes. I haven't built a cardboard mock up yet to see which one fits best:

JAZ

12gal 17.5x16x10
    16gal 18.5x18.5x12

RCI

12gal 17x17x11
    16gal 23x17x11

They look like they include -8 fittings. Is that the largest these fuel cells can accept?

Is one brand better then the other? Use the foam or not use it?

I haven't gotten a $10 copy of the NHRA rule book yet. I know it says something about a firewall. Anything else about the fuel cell?

For the firewall, have a sheet down behind the rear seat and one on the package tray too?

2. BFI-93

With a plastic fuel cell If you want larger than -8 you can remove the -8 bulkheads , redrill the holes and insert -10 or whatever size you need. I did this to my cell. Worked fine ( as long as your hand will fit down through the top opening). :2thumbs:

3. Turbohwagon

i have a plastic cell. i was wondering about the outlet fittings aswell and the ability to change them, which BFI just answered lol

I have the foam, and my cell is supposed to be a 16 gallon, but with the foam the damn thing barely fits 12 gallons. The foam is a saftey thing, its supposed to hold the fuel better if the cell is broken or cracked that way it doesn't come gushing out. i think i'm going to take mine out as it is coming apart abit, but then again my gas gauge is a cut off yard stick LOL.

4. Lightning Struck

That foam is a royal PITA when it starts to go... Had a buddy with a N/A 347 that wasn't running right.. Pulled the accellerator pump squirters and they were FILLED with foam...lol... Needless to say the car picked up about .3 after he got a full shot from the pump..

5. Supe

The foam is usually more for slosh control. Keeps the pickup points/bulkhead fittings from being uncovered under acceleration. Hell, you can even buy primary and secondary bowls with foam in them, go figure.

In my small cell, I removed the center section of foam, but left the sides in. Holds a little more that way.

6. mustang-junky

Sorry to hijack you thread a little.

How long does the foam usually last? How long till it starts to break down? I have had mine in there for a couple years. I am thinking I should take it out.

7. Supe

I think it depends on the conditions. I've noticed it deteriorated faster when left dry and sitting around, then when it actually had fuel in it.

8. cbibb

Not to hijack your thread but is there a way to get the common 90ohm sending unit to work for a foxbody gauge?

9. mustang-junky

It will work it just won't be accurate. Stock(for my '90 stang) is 16ohm empty and 158 full. So your gauge will probably read about 3/4 up when the cell is full.

10. cbibb

Do they sell a sender that will work with a foxbody gauge? If so where can I get one? Thanks

11. rtz

On the cell measurements, does the height include the sump? If not, what is the height of the sump?

12. mustang-junky

13. 90notchlx

I have the 12gal Jaz and it fits perfect in my spare tire hole in my notch.

14. rtz

Any chance of a pic of it?

Also, does your spare tire well have a "drain plug" nearest the back bumper. Oval shape. Is that where you run your lines through?

15. 90notchlx

Yea I can get you a pic when I get back to the house. I'm in NE. working and it might be a few weeks. But to answer your question, the spare well had that oval shaped hole. But what I did was cut part of the floor out and build a base out of 3/4"square tubing for it to sit on. Prob a 6"x 10" hole running longways and the lines run out that way. Not saying it would have been a prob, but I did'nt want to just strap it onto the sheet metal floor. Plus there is a big ass bump right in the middle that the tire holder rod came up from. And also that bump kept the tire fron moving around, so I cut that out. Hope that helps.