1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Who manufacturers intercooler core?

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by Trentk, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Trentk

I am trying to figure out who manufacturer's the intercooler cores that all the intercooler companies use to build their intercoolers. I have heard that API builds them but who else???

Thanks,
    Trent

2. Snipe656

Who manufacturers intercooler core? How is core manufactured?

Some place in the Dallas area does but good luck finding out who that might be because the name seems to be something people do not want to let out.

3. LRD VDR

Diamond Blackstone is another.

Shahram

4. turbo54

Lots of companies make intercooler cores, and as stated, the companies that buy them to build coolers do *not* like giving out their names, as building an IC is really quite easy, and its a HUGELY profitable business to be in.

Do an internet search, but instead of typing in "intercooler", try "aftercooler" and "charge air coolers", as this is the true name for these things in the industry. Here is a quick list of a few companies that make cores:

Griffin
    Garrett
    Opcon (same parent company as auto-rotor)
    Spearco
    Blackstone

There are many, many more.

5. Superskwrl

I dont think even spearco actually makes the cores???

6. turbo54

I'm pretty sure Spearco makes them on site... I could be wrong though.

7. ShaneH

Spearco does not. They only weld them together. They purchase the cores from any number of places.

8. Dangerous Dan

the question would be wether these company will sell directly to the small guy , or if you need to be dealer or or somthin stupid .

9. Snipe656

One of which I am told is the place in Dallas I mentioned, supposeably the same place Bell gets his from and I think some of the turbo kit companies now days.

They are heat exchanger cores as well, we had some in the ship I used to work on and looked exactly like the cores you see on cars just a TON bigger.

10. turbo54

The cores from Opcon are bar none the best in the industry currently. They have fantastic pressure drop characteristics and very high efficiency. Further, the manufacturing process employed to make them allows easier, cheaper manufacturing.

11. Trentk

I have also heard that spearco doesn't make their cores.
    I bet these big manufacturing places probably don't sell to just any joe off the street.

12. Snipe656

No, but they might sell to Trentk's Turbo Kit Systems ;)

13. Trentk

screw that, I can barely keep a message board running let alone run a turbo company. I don't have any desire to start selling shit. Everyone wants something for nothing and they want it yesterday.

14. Trentk

TTT.

I am looking for info on IC cores again. Seems like it is an issue of national security trying to find out who makes cores. Finding decently priced core is expensive because there are 500 middle men all getting a cut of your intercooler.

15. ShaneH

Yep. You would be surprised as to what an intercooler core actually costs from the manufacturer. They're REALLY cheap. Let's put it this way...........spearco is marking them up 300-400% at least to their end user if he pays their retail price.

16. Trentk

Shane, that is exactly what I am talking about. Not only that but it seems like everybody is always on backorder.

Does anyone know what is involved with buildilng bar/plate core? What scale of manufacturing are we talking about?

17. SWT Racing

:rofl:

18. SWT Racing

I think it would be a fairly large endeavor. You're talking about jigging up a bar and plate cores and furnace brazing them. Not to mention the basic manufacturing of the bars and plates with the turbulators. In addition to the basic manufacturing, you would also have to be able to provide engineering data such as flow losses, ultimate burst strength, efficiency at different pressure drops, etc.

19. big_mike8

Have you tried a :mora: at The Thomas Register for intercooler or heat exchanger? You may find something... you may not... but it's worth a try...

20. Trentk

never heard of the thomas register so no, I haven't tried searching there. Thanks.

Andrew, thanks for the info, that is exactly what I am looking for. How much money would you guess it would take to start making cores?