1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Pontiac G8 6.0 rearmount questions.. Been away for a while!!

Discussion in 'LS1, LS2, LS6, LT1, SBC Turbo and other GM Specfic Turbo Tech' started by topher455, Aug 26, 2012.

1. topher455

I posted this in general turbo ??'s probably should have put it here. Hi to those I havent seen in a while!!! So not to double post heres a link.

https://www.theturboforums.com/smf/turbo-tech-questions-only!!!/im-back!!-need-advice-on-new-build-rearmount-09-g8-gt-single-turbo/

Im open to suggestions for twins instead of a single. And oiled turbos if I can get some good info on building a trouble free scavenge system. People seem to have a lot of issues with them but it could just be the design of the system. Once I get a solid build plan going I'll start collecting parts and my usual anal retentive top quality build style can be expected lol.

2. Drac0nic

Damn dude been forever. Good to see you round again. Still got those Holsets in the wings haven't really done a ton with em though :(

3. topher455

Ha! Thanks. Yea its been a while. I was wondering how you were doing on the holesets. But I know how it goes with projects like that.

Any thoughts on rear mounted twins. Im not really sure how to size the turbos since the rear mount turbo sizing usually needs to be a bit smaller than a front mount style setup. Any links you know of for that or the scavenge system?? Id like to get some reading done on this so I feel a bit more comfortable before jumping into it.

4. 89JYturbo

I've been running a remote mount turbo system on my '89 Cavalier Z24 for a long time now (7-8 years or so). I use a shur-flo oil pump to scavenge the oil from the turbo and pump it back to the engine. This is a diaphram style pump, and it is mounted in the trunk of the car, above the turbo. I used a turbo timer to run the pump for about a minute after the engine shuts off. This works very good for me, the only thing is if you park it for a long period of time the car should be level or with the front end downward. Oil in the lines can drain back to the turbo center section if you park it with the back end down for too long (2-3hrs+). I did replace the oil pump once about 5 years ago (at that time I drove the car every day, in rain, snow etc.). When the scavenge pump failed, the exhaust started to oil smoke, but the car was otherwise completely drivable). I would think a oil sump would completely solve this problem, however the problem has been so minor I never bothered.

My car has a junkyard 3400 V6 from a Venture van and has gone 11.8 at 122mph and put 383hp and 433tq to the wheels at 19psi of boost. I don't drive it every day anymore (I have a home business), but it is a great driver. The oil and coolant temps are easy to control since the turbo is not in the engine bay. Me and a freind took it on Darg Week in '08, a slipping clutch kept us from being the fastest 6 cylinder car that year (by 0.018 second).

Overall I'm happy with the remote turbo set-up. I can't help you so much with sizing, but as a point of reference Blouch turbo custom built my turbo using their Dominator 3.0XTR billet compressor wheel (60mm inducer, from their Subaru line) in a TO4E housing, and a T3 stage 3 turbine wheel in a .63a/r turbine housing. Since it's journal bearing, it was not that expensive. I would think two of them would be a decent match on you G8. You could contact them to discuss if you are searching for a supplier.

RMT Phase 3.jpg #ad

5. Turbohwagon

Remote mount is working for me.