1. The Turbo Forums - The discussion board for both hard core and beginner turbocharged vehicle enthusiasts. Covering everything from stock turbocharger cars, seriously fast drag racers, boats, motorcycles, and daily driver modified turbo cars and trucks.
    To start posting in our forums, and comment on articles and blogs please

IF YOU ARE AN EXISTING MEMBER: You can retrieve your a password for your account here: click here.

Help me build a sbf

Discussion in 'Turbo Tech Questions' started by orion_134, Jun 19, 2005.

1. orion_134

When I get back from Iraq I am going to have a little bit of money to spend and I am going to build a fairly stout streetable race car. First off, the first thing will be a blower, the Paxton VR-4 pushing 1600 cfm's at 15 psi non intercooled and I will eventually up it to turbos. I have a tall deck 351 block and will most likely build that up. Now for the questions...I will be building a stroker, most likely a 408 for more piston options. It will be carb'd through a single plane with most likely a custom cam. The car will be driven weekly with a c4, 3.73/4.10 on drag radials and 93 octane.
    1) Should I port my TW's or buy another head?
    2) Should I go with a hyd roller cam or a solid?
    3) Is the 408 a good combo or should I go with a 393?
    4) What is a good single plane that isn't prone to having lean corner cylinders?
    Please feel free to give any combo suggestions as this is my first solo engine build, I want the heads, cam, intake, stall to all work!
    Here's what I think
    TEA port my TW
    Eagle all forged rotating assembly with TW spec pistons and blower rings 8.5:1(upgrade the rod bolts?)
    custom cam
    blowthrough 750dp
    Vic Jr intake

Thanks,
    Jesse

2. Drlee50

do you already own the blower? why not go straight to the turbo set up and save yourself some time and money? 15 psi non intercooled is just about the limit for non-intercooled. maybe a bit passed it with that blower and 93 octane.

Anyway, for a street car you can get plenty of power out of the hydro cam. tw heads are fine, 408 is a proven combo, i dont know what intake to tell ya, the engine internals you selected are good for the price as well.

if you go blower first then turbo, you will likely have to change the rear gears, the cam, the exhaust system, the carb tune, and the mounting of the accessories probably depending on the size and location of the turbo kit. i would sugest that you pick the combo you want and build it first. unless you already own the blower.... then sell it if you have to. it will save $ in the end

3. orion_134

LOL, yeah, I've tried selling this blower...nobody wants it because it's the older SN series. It was one of the first blowers to put a 302 into the 9's, so I'll give it a try. As for the 15 psi, that is race boost with alky injection and that 15 psi number is also on ported e7 heads, it should be much less on a 408. It'll be more like 4 on the skreet and 8 at the track (guessing). I agree with the accessory relocation, and exhaust, but that's not too much. As for the cam, I didn't even think of that...When a custom cam is ground, do they take the flow specs of the turbo/sc and make the lift/dur from that (among other things)? I was thinking about the gears after the post...with this much power and a c4 I should probably stick with my 3.27's for both the blower and turbo, right?
    Thanks for the quick response,
    Jesse

4. ricky

usually when you call a cam company,they will ask you several questions,incuding but not limited to engine ci,comp ratio,head type,head work,style intake,if auto/std ,id auto converter stall range,car weight,etc...so be prepared to have some of that info for them, i would go with a custom hyd roller,and a vic jr style intake..the guy's on the blow thru forums on this site are really familar with this type of setup..might be better to post in there..i can tell ya one thing though,with a decent 408,it's gonna have killer torque !:)

5. ricky

p.s,i would stick with the 3.27's :)

6. ford101mustang

For that motor i would use a set of AFR205 heads. The Trick Flow might be a little to small for that combo unless you port the crap out of them. As for the gears I am runnig a c4 with 4.10 gears there great for a all motor car i can onley go about 130 MPH with them and thats at 7500 RPM. And if you are looking to go in the 9s you are going to run out of gear . I would go with 3.55 gears at 7000 RPM with 28" tall tires you will be able to go 165 MPH. The 3.27 will work but it will come out off the line a little slower. As far as the intake goes i would use a Victor jr. intake or if you want to turn big RPM's go with a parker funnel web.